THE BEST OF VERMONT; Scenic Drives, Viewpoints, Ponds, Lakes, Streams, Bridges and Buildings

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:26 am

FAX: Yes, it is at the intersection of 66 West and 89. (The reason I put the Gorge lot there is because we parked at a precarious spot, not too bright, for viewing. The gorge is to your right. Probably ok to park there.

Do not confuse with route 65 at Brookfield where the infamous Floating Bridge is. Do stop here but don't think you can cross it presently.

Take route 12 north from this intersection to South Northfield, turn west on route 64 to Roxbury and pick up the Roxbury Mountain Road to Warren for an incredible loop.

From_the_NEK

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:30 am

Scenic Drive, DRIVING ROUTE - I call this one NEK Southwest-short:
I cobbled this together from various roads I driven over the years (mostly off the beaten path). LOTS of turns here. The road layout in western Caledonia and Orleans Countys do not follow a nice linear pattern along the ridgelines as they do in the Passumpsic River Valley making for a lot more turns. There are still wonderful rollling farmland views to be had along this route. Good Luck!

Starting point is the Comfort Inn off of I-91 Exit 20 in St. Johnsbury, VT

Directions in Google Maps:
Short Loop (NEK SW-short)http://g.co/maps/ddvrp 30 miles of driving
Long Loop (NEK SW) https://goo.gl/maps/K2Tsfp134c72 82 miles of driving

S Wheelock/Stannard Mtn Rd:

Can't remember specifically where this one is along the route:

Hubbard Hill Road (recommended time between 2-3:30PM for best light on a sunny day)

Edit 9/27/11: Heavily revised to clean up content. Hopefully no one got too lost with the old directions :wink:
Last edited by From_the_NEK on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Aspen

NEK's Suggested Drives

Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:34 pm

NEK thanks so very much for sharing what has been and will be great drives in the Northeast Kingdom for viewers on this Forum who have or may have had the opportunity to visit while in Vermont. Also, thanks for posting your many beautiful pictures of some of the areas along the drives that beckon "Come!"
Some out of towners will be only able to make a day trip to the Northeast Kingdom. Taking that into consideration, which of your two wonderful drives on this thread would you recommend for a day trip? Is it possible to drive, both, your previous drive posted which is in the Lyndonville/Burke areas and this additional Northwest of NEK drive in a day? Next, advise driving conditions for the Northwest of NEK drive. What are roads like, paved, dirt, bumpy? Need a high car clearance or four wheel drive? My husband advised I not plan any more drives like the one lane, dirt road drive we experienced last year to the Lewis Pond Overlook. I will never hear the last of that from him when suggesting drives! Was planning to drive the Lyndonville/Burke Mountain drive prior to your dangling another "carrot" in front of me with your Northwest of NEK drive. Oh, the dilemnas of so much beauty to see and so little time then you have another drive planned for next year....trying to get there, let alone keep up with you, NEK! :wink: Again, appreciate all the time and efforts you have invested in assuring folks some wonderful drives in the Northeast Kingdom. What a Kingdom to behold!

Aspen

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:45 pm

Found a new spot myself this summer! Have to add!

Out of Townshend, take right onto Rt. 35. Follow for 2 miles, take right onto Easthill Rd. Take 1st left onto Deer Valley Rd. Do you want an enchanted, winding, dirt road drive in the woods with old stone walls, pastures, cows, horses? This is it. Stunning, picturesque, short and sweet!

Susan2004

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:10 pm

I know there are too many to list but I have to add that Common Rd. in Waitsfield is my all time favorite from beginning to end. It's amazing. I felt like I couldn't breathe the first time I took in the views last year.

pwt54

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:13 am

Route 66 is off the I-89 exit 4 ramp. If you take this road east to the end at route 14, turn right and look for the Chelsea Mountain Road on the left side. It's a paved country road that takes you to route 110 in Chelsea. Grest ride with good views.

Aspen

Reader's Digest, The Most Scenic Drives in America

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:22 am

Reader's Digest, The Most Scenic Drives in America has two scenic driving routes in Vermont. One driving route is referred to as Green Mountain Highway along Route 100 from Wilmington all the way up to Jay Peak The other is Vermont's Quiet Corner with a drive from White River Valley all the way up to Orleans. Drives are all planned, need only to follow the map and areas numbered. Each numbered area on the routes have a brief description. This is an outstanding guide for anyone driving in Vermont or other places in America; especially for the first time.
Check your library for this book. Borrow the book or xerox what current Vermont drives may be listed in the latest edition. Some may wish to purchase this wonderful book. Highly recommend Reader's Digest, The Most Scenic Drives in America.
Aspen

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:51 am

Phil: The Chelsea Mtn. Road turns into East Randolph Road on my Jimapco in case anyone is checking this out. We took that to 110 a couple of years ago and all the way down to Tunbridge. Excellent road for views like you said. Beautiful drive.

Look for this other stunning back road: Strafford Mountain Road/Justin Morrell Memorial Highway into Strafford. Unreal. Slow down at Tunbridge, it's on the left, sharp turn. SMALL sign. Visit the town of Strafford. If you think Peacham was a step back in time, wait 'till you arrive here. :wink:

faxmachineanthem

Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Aspen,
I've already praised it in this topic, but NEK's "Loop through the central Northeast Kingdom" is the prettiest drive I've been on in my life. There was one road on there which was ROUGH (passable in an SUV but you had to go about 5 mph to handle all the ruts) but the others were fine. I believe NEK notes that road and suggests a detour if you want to avoid it.

Looking forward to trying NEK's new route. :-)

BostonRott

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:36 pm

WOW!!!

:D :D

My sister-in-law lives in Ludlow, and we visit every year around Columbus Day weekend. I've done lots of "Jenne Farm" and the area around Woodstock (including the road with all the farms). Was hoping to find some new 'shoots' this year and you guys hit this one outta the park, thank you!!

I've copied all the suggestions to a Word document, Google mapped them from my SIL's house, and then re-arranged to divide into "north" and "south" trips. :D

Of the spots already listed, does anyone have a preferred time of day for any of them? I.e. better light for morning vs. evening?

Aspen

Sugarbush Farm in Pomfret nearby Woodstock

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:38 pm

Sugarbush Farm is among rolling hills and beautiful during Foliage time. Located in Pomfret nearby Woodstock.
Take Route 4 to Taftsville
Cross the Taftsville Covered Bridge
Drive up hill, turn left onto Hillside road.
Watch for signs leading to Sugarbush Farm.
There's some farm animals for both the child in us and lil ones to enjoy.
There's a short trail with maple trees with information on how maple syrup is collected. May visit their Sugarhouse and view a brief educational videotape about Sugarbush Farm.
There's a chapel in the woods.
Sugarbush makes and sells their cheese which may be sampled.
Nice gift shop with Maple products and cheese.

Aspen

Utah Baker

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:34 am

Lots of great routes listed. My i suggest a few great spots to visit, maybe a little touristy, but hey, I"m a tourist!

Queeche Gorge (preferably mid week)

Shelburne Farms & museum

Hildene, Todd Lincoln home (great tour guides!)

Ethan Allen homesite

Island Pond area

There are so many, two that have greatly improved since we visit visited them, Hildene and the Ticonderoga at the Shelburne Museum, to see the restoration that have taken place is amazing. One we will greatly miss is The Fool on the Hill, ouside of Woodstock. It was so much fun to see all the mini farmland and forest friends scattered all over the hillside, and stuff ourselves with fresh roasted corn on the cob drenched in melted butter. Yum! Then last year when we visited with friends from Arizona, one of the highlights for her(one of her favorite poets) was Robert Frost's home in Shaftsbury and of course his burial site in Bennington. So ther is something for everyone.

Utah Baker

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:38 am

Oh, one more thing I suggest, I know Woodstock can be crazy(do not go Columbus weekend!) but a walk across the covered bridge into the quiet neighborhoods with it's beautiful homes can be very pleasant!

From_the_NEK

Re: NEK's Suggested Drives

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Aspen wrote: Some out of towners will be only able to make a day trip to the Northeast Kingdom.
1. Taking that into consideration, which of your two wonderful drives on this thread would you recommend for a day trip?
2. Is it possible to drive, both, your previous drive posted which is in the Lyndonville/Burke areas and this additional Northwest of NEK drive in a day?
3. Next, advise driving conditions for the Northwest of NEK drive. What are roads like, paved, dirt, bumpy? Need a high car clearance or four wheel drive?
1st off, thanks for all of the compliments :) I enjoy living here and sharing my local knowledge with others.

1. I personally prefer the "NEK Central" (Lyndon/Burke) route over the NEK west route due to less complexity and arguably better mountain views. However, they are both very scenic.

2. Depends on how much you like to stop and take photos and/or enjoy the scenery. If you are strictly a drive and look foliage observer you can do both in the same day (I'd estimate roughly 3-3.5 hours of leisurely driving time per route). If you like to stop and enjoy good spots I would concentrate on just one of the trips.

3. As faxmachineanthem pointed out, the NEK Central route has a stretch of rough narrow Class 4 road (Wheeler Mtn Rd), but I do provide an alternative route in the directions. The NEK West route avoids Class 4 roads and improved logging roads (e.g. roads to Lewis Pond). Although, there is a significant amount of gravel driving on the West route, none should be terribly rutted or tough to drive on.

Aspen

NEK driving routes

Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks NEK for your followup and advise pertaining to driving your two suggested Northeast Kingdom scenic drives, Lydon/Burke drive and Northeast Kingdom West drive. When visiting Puerto Rico, took advise from a local to spend morning in the Rain Forest and afternoon at the beach. Crack of dawn, headed off to the Rain Forest and left Rain Forest as sun was setting. 8) Obviously, disqualifies our being included in the "drive and look" category. Will copy all of your driving routes. Keep sharing your inspiration of "this land is my land; this land is your land" like you have been doing. Many may not be able to keep up with your posting great driving routes but you will assure that they have options and MORE drives to look forward to when opportunities permit.

Likewise, that goes for Faxmachine who lives up to his name..."faxing/running off" a great list of routes for those on this Foliage Forum to drive. This has taken off to be a wonderful Fall Foliage year on this Forum with so many sharing their Vermont knowledge to ensure that others enjoy their visits to Vermont.

Aspen