Book recommendations?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

Book recommendations?

Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:47 pm

Anyone have any good recommendations for books?

I am planning to tour around the state in a couple of weeks and am hoping there is a guide book of some sort that would point out the best natural attractions in each area. Any tips recommended! I think lots of people might find them useful.

Thanks. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

dkramer

Re: Book recommendations?

Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:44 pm

Don't ask me where it is because there is just about no chance I will ever find this book in my stash at home, but I have read Country Roads of Vermont (available on Amazon). I remember it having lots of nice tidbits along the way. The book is full of day trips and such and, if I remember correctly, does a halfway decent job with natural attractions.

Btw, on a separate note (and a bit OT, I'm sorry), are you the same ixl from ne.weather and ne.weather.moderated? I think you are, since that person was from S VT too (and Charles Kozierok also I think). If so, funny where people meet over and over again...I was mostly a lurker, but I did poke my head out from time to time on that board. Too bad things got so uncivilized so often there! Take care.

Daniel

ixl

Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:43 pm

Hi Daniel.. yep, that's me. :) The craziness in ne.weather is why I started ne.weather.moderated -- and got a lot of flack for it. Sorry I don't recognize your name, but if you mostly lurked, that's understandable, I guess! ;)

That book looks like it could be a good one and it's in the used section at Amazon for 6 bucks so that's a no brainer. Thanks! --c

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:47 pm

It's a good book but I think it's Pre 911 so the road names might be different.

ixl

Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:14 pm

That's okay, I think I can figure it out.

Do you have any books you use or can recommend, pwt? --c

pwt54

Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:55 am

Not right now. Most of the roads I travel the book writers stay away from. Like all of those "logging roads' on the old Champion Paper Land that the State and Federal Goverment took over. Right now the only "books" I'm reading are my Jimmapco and Northern Cartagraphic Vermont Atlas'.

ixl

Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:18 am

Cool.

You don't by any chance have a web page or reference to a post that summarizes your favorite places to go? I don't want to ask you to type in a whole bunch of stuff.. you seem to know a lot! --c

pwt54

Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:47 pm

No I don't. I'd have to write a small book. Right now I'm exploring all the "logging roads" in the old Champion Paper Land that I hadn't dared to do because I was using a car until this year. I use quotations around logging road because these road are as good as any dirt road in Vt. Most of these roads do dead end however.