Help with our fall foliage trip...a bit anxious

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:04 am

You will have late color in the lowlands around Conway. Colors should be better down around Lake Winipesaukee. The only iffy part of your trip will be Conway. That's a great "batting average" for any foliage trip. I would stick with your plan as it is. Don't try to micro-manage your trip. A certain amount of "winging it" normal for any foliagetrip. That's what we did on our reunion tour on Saturday and it worked great.

colorfotos

Thank you so much!

Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi Carol (abby), mmvt, Andy, DCE Nebraska, Charles (ixl) and Phil (pwt54):

I want to express my sincere thanks to all of you for your help with my trip plan and places to visit. Thanks for helping to make this one of the best vacations we have ever had. It was like a perfect vacation (except wish it were a little warmer) and the places (especially VT and NH) were gorgeous and filled with vivid colors.

Even amongst the New England states we visited (VT, NH and MA), VT stood out in how the towns retained their charming quaintness and how the people were so friendly and hospitable (every single human encounter - be it a shopkeeper or a passerby - I had in VT was a pleasant experience).

Hope to go back to New England during another fall season soon!

Thanks so much again!!

PS: Carol, I will update the thread with my trip photos soon!

Andy

Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:11 am

Bring on the photos! We are all looking forward to them.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:01 pm

I'm happy to hear my suggestions were helpful. This was a tough year to plan trips what with the rotten weather. If you think this year was good, wait until we have a good year. Maybe next year/ ( A famous Red Sox fan quote. Works for Cubs fans too.)

Andy

Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:00 am

Phil: I would add the Lions to that, but I don't want everyone here throwing their cameras away and booking cruises to the Bahamas forever! :lol:
Andy

colorfotos

Photos from my trip.....

Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:23 am

Hi all:

I have (finally!) managed to post some photos online...still have quite a few to sort through. I will be adding more to this album in the next few days. Hopefully I have them done before next fall comes :-).

Again, thanks a bunch (without your help I would not have been able to get some of these pics).

The following link shows the pictures in slide show format...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/colorfotos ... 1023/show/

The following link shows the pictures in thumbnail view format...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/colorfotos ... 23/detail/

I'd appreciate your comments / critiques.

Andy

Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:26 am

Gorgeous. Maybe it was just timing, but it kind of looks like NH might have "trumped" this year?
Andy

randgbaker

Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:45 pm

Very nice pics.

colorfotos

Thanks....

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi Carol,

Thanks for the detailed comments. I appreciate them.

The number five is a cropped photo taken at 24mm focal length. Yes, I think snow makes fall so much more magical. It was gorgeous and one has to be there to feel its full glory; unfortunately, my photgraphic skills is not there yet to capture the beauty.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your comment. Yes, I felt the White Mountain area of NH had more vibrant red colors than the areas of VT we visisted. We changed our plan and extended a day in NH and shortened a day for the Mohawk Trail, MA which turned out to be a good decision. We spent almost a couple of days in southern VT (Oct, 10th and 11th) where the leaves fell, perhaps due to the wind. However, I saw some of the most spectacular fall colors (miles and miles) in VT off of I-89 while going from White River Junction to Barre, VT. I wish I spent less time in the southern part and more time in and around Barre, VT and NEK. Aside from the colors we saw this year, I felt VT can't be beat for its culture/hospitality.

Hi Randgbaker,

Thanks. I looked at your website and the pics are awesome!

faxmachineanthem

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:41 am

Hey color,
Very impressive set. My favorites are
the second stream shot, with the red leaves framing the water,
the Kanc shot from inside the window-- very creative!
and the two "wall of color" type shots-- "fall colors" and "fall in white mtns". Really beautiful.

Photosbyzen

Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:02 pm

Outstanding captures of the season

colorfotos

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi faxmachineanthem & Photosbyzen,

Thanks for your comments. They are much appreciated!