You'll Think I snuck to VT - Michigan U.P. Photos

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Andy

Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:31 am

Charles: In all my responses about the Moccassin Lake Photo, I forgot to address your question about the waterfall.

I think, to Laura, I responded about what creates the scalloping. There are some pretty cool sandstone formations all over that area (I think the Door County, WI area has many similar formations). Maybe Al and I will meet up in that vicinity some time and shoot some of those scenes.

The locals call these Elliot Falls. I cannot take the time right now, but when I get back I'll post-process an "environmental" shot of those falls so you can see some "scale" and link to it for you. It is very small, but this "intimate" approach seemed to me to be the shot.

Another photographer asked about cropping out the sand on the lower right. I may play around with a different aspect ratio and try that.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:06 am

RePost of Moccassin Lake:

O.K., Here is a "toned-down" version. I left both versions up (though you can see I didn't make exactly the same crop). The new version has just a slight curve adjustment for contrast boost, and the same sharpening that was applied to the first version.

I personally like them both. Its what's great -- in my view -- about photography. And I truly appreciate the views of the other talented photographers here. I like honest critique and hope we carry this over to the Photography Forum (probably better belongs there) and keep up our dialog over the winter.

I did not do anything to the Deer Lake photo except crop and slight sharpening -- it is more "photorealistic" and I like it, too (am I starting to sound narcissistic :lol: ). It is a late afternoon lit shot, while Moccassin Lake is at sunrise, or just before during the morning twilight. Interesting to me the difference in how they appear.

Thank, Al, for pointing out the horizon issue. On closer inspection BOTH Moccasin Lake photos had tilted horizons. That rim of fog on top of the water made it difficult for me to see the actual shoreline. When I pulled down a "guide" on PS, it was easy to see and I have now fixed them both. I'll make a comment on this on the Photo Forum.

Thanks for all the comments folks.
Andy

autzig

Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:32 pm

Andy, I like the toned down version much better. I love the Deer Lake shot. If could have coaxed a flock of ducks or geese to pose in that still water, I'd give you even more kudos. I guess that may be out of the photographer's realm.

Andy

Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:01 am

Thanks, Al. I had my duck call, but it just wasn't working that day :P

I DID actually hear ducks at Moccasin, and at one point a small group swam across, but too far away to make an impact.
Andy