Leaves changing early?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

Leaves changing early?

Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:22 pm

Anyone on this forum yet for this year? ;)

I have noticed some of the trees starting to change here in southern VT. Also have noticed this somewhat in other areas, and others have said similar things.

Of course, every year some trees change in August and I think the season will be early, and it often isn't. (This happened last year.)

How do things look where others are? I was in the Whites last week and I didn't see much change there. Planning to do a tour of northern VT/NH for photography this year and wondering when the best time will turn out to be...

Charles
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Re: Leaves changing early?

Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:55 am

Yeah, I've seen a few early colors up here in Lamoille County. Most of the trees that are changing are in low lying damp areas. With all the rain we have had this year they are stressed out and turning early. Last year we had a dry spell up here and the trees in very dry soil turned early.

ixl

Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:11 pm

Hey pwt,

Thanks. Well I hope you are right -- I don't want an early fall this year. Will mess up my photography plans.

After so many years in the "Vermont tropics" it's time for me to head north this fall. Hope you can give me a few pointers. And of course, happy to return the favor! :) --c

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

dkramer

Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:39 am

Hi,

Returned from my annual summer Vt. trip last week. Definitely saw more color than in past years at the same time, but I agree that most of the trees that were changed were in wetlands or were stressed in some way (near a building, etc.). The only exception was up the App Gap. I saw some more than I remember in the past. I also hope that things aren't going to be early...currently in planning stages for an overnight trip in early Oct. Figure that's a safe bet for SOMEHWERE in Vt. I certainly don't mind the travel...and our four-month-old is too young to ask if we are there yet!

Daniel

Bridgewater peeper

Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:11 am

I will be Bridgewater from Oct8-13th. It has been great for the past 3 years at that time. Not quiet peak but perfect to me!

pwt54

Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:17 am

Went up to the Northeast Kingdom yesterday to my favorite blackberry patch. There was a black bear there first so I went looking for another patch. I watched for changing trees while I was wandering around. It's the same up there. Trees in wet areas are changing, but the other trees are still a bright green. I've noticed in my 50 plus years that the trees change from a bright green to a dull green about a week before the colors start showing. I'm not seening that change yet. I'm guessing we'll have a normal folisge season. I noticed we have a visiter from Beaufort, SC. I spent a wonderful afternoon down there 2 years ago. May try it again.

Bridgewater peeper

Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:39 am

Yes, I am 5th generation Beaufortonian. My Wife is from Ct. and her family has had a place in Bridgewater since the early 40's. I visited 4 years ago for the first time, and fell in love. We come up twice a year, we rotate summer and winters and always in Oct. for our anniversery. We are thinking of doing 6-6 in 5 years after our daughter is out of college. I run a fishing charter service down here, Lillooer Charters, The chamber of Commerce will have all of my info by the end of fall. Cant wait to get back up. One ?, is the Killington gondolla ride worth it, and hows the lunch prices up top? Thanks, Monte Kirby

ixl

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:06 am

Thanks for the update, pwt. The weather is nice now so hopefully that will forestall any early fall arrival. :) --c

pwt54

Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:19 pm

The gondola ride up Killington is worth the price. Lunches are a little high, but the costs of running a restaurant up there is high also.

Bridgewater peeper

Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:04 pm

Thanks, I'm gonna take my wife this year.

rmclagg

Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:11 am

I am planning a trip to the NE Kingdom 29SEP-02OCT 2004, staying near Averill. Unfortunately my vacation window is limited to these days. I chose the NE Kingdom b/c I figured that I would have a better chance of catching peak/just past peak foilage for this earlier time of the season. Looking for confirmation of my thought process, am I sending myself too far north? Any and all advice is welcome. Understand that this is very subjective to weather between now and then, but I know there are some foilage experts out there who can venture some suggestions. Thanks.

Irishnan

Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:10 am

We have been going to the NEK (Burke area) for many years for Fall Foliage. We have used the first full calendar week in October as a "rule of thumb" to catch peak. We've never been to Averill but I would think that you might be catching it almost perfect. Good luck, I will be in West Burke Sept. 15th thru Oct. 10th and will keep the board posted on the progress of the changing in that area.
Pat