Confused

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

TK

Confused

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi. I am new to the forum. What an amazing resource!
I am taking my father up to Vermont on Wed and Thur this week. He lives on the west coast and has not seen the New England fall colors in over 20 years. We are going to start in central Vermont, around Woodstock, but was planning spend the night near Kent Pond. Is this area too far past peak? Also I was confused as to whether to head further north the next day to the Waitsfield or Peacham area or south to the Mount Equinox/Manchester area. Intuitively it seems that the peak would be further south now, but some of the recent posts suggest that the colors are still good in the North but rapidly deteriorating in the South. Finally I am looking for any suggestions on scenic (but not too strenuous) hiking or walking paths in any of these areas. We want to get out of the car and enjoy the colors at a leisurely pace.
I really want to make this a memorable trip for my father. Any advice on suggested locations, inns, and restaurants (good quality but not fancy) would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

TK

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:49 am

Thanks MMVT for the great tips. Sounds like you had a spectacular trip. Have a safe trip home
TK

4sneau

Woodstock

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:22 pm

TK, please check your message box; I sent you some suggestions for your trip.

p.s. Oh, and I meant to say, if you wear slacks and a nice sweater, you won't feel "underdressed" (not overdressed---that would be silly!).
Last edited by 4sneau on Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TK

Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:47 pm

My father and I had a wonderful trip. A special thanks to MMVT and 4sneau for their specific advice and to all of the posters who have shared their favorite places (4sneau - I sent an e-mail to your hotmail address). We spent three days wandering through the Woodstock area, around Kent Pond/ Shelburne pass, zig-zagging our way south through Manchester and Bennington. Even the areas that were past peak were beautiful, especially on foot. Vermont is an amazing place. Next time we will hit the northern area.
Here is a link to some photos from our trip
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41039570@N ... 1965/show/
Cheers,
TK

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:01 pm

TK: I really enjoyed all of your photos. You certainly got around! I liked the tall forest trees surrounded by golden leaves. That was so pretty.

How special that you were able to make this trip memorable for your father who came all the way from the west coast. He looks like a very kind man. How fortunate for you to spend time in Vermont in autumn with your father.

Please do come back next year. You will love the northern areas.

Thanks again for these great photos!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot