Photos from my week in Vermont and New Hampshire

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

faxmachineanthem

Photos from my week in Vermont and New Hampshire

Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:51 pm

Hi all,
I hope you'll take a minute to peruse my favorite shots from my vacation. I spent 10/3 - 10/10 exploring VT and NH, primarily the Northeast Kingdom and the Franconia/Crawford Notch areas. I want to give a big thank you to pwt, From_the_NEK, and Andy for all their helpful posts. A lot of my favorite shots came as a result of your advice. Here's the album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/wilkbm02/Ve ... directlink

As a teaser I'll put in one of my favorites. :D

Thanks for looking!

Rockwall Tim

Incredible

Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:22 pm

This is some amazing photography! Thanks so much for posting.
II Cor. 4:17

4sneau

Oh My, Oh My!!!

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:13 pm

Wow! I'm speechless...those are so gorgeous, I have a heartache. Thank you for sharing them with us!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:16 am

Wow Wow Wow! Truly outstanding photos! I am a sucker for cows. I loved "somewhere near Waitsfield". You captured most of my favorite areas in VT in these shots.

Darling Hill Road is a must for anyone going to VT next year. Very much like Common Road in Waitsfield. Enchanting!

Fax: I stayed at both of those inns there on Darling Hill. The barns at the Inn at Mountain View farm are great for photos.

You did one heck of a fine job! Thanks so much!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

MrBumps

Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:16 am

Fantastic shots! I think my favorite is the church steeple.

From_the_NEK

Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:10 am

Great Shots!

rk

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Fantastic Photos.

Aspen

Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Fax, congrats, you really captured some incredible pictures! Loved all of them. Capturing the sunbeam in the church steeple was really creative!
Your pictures are indeed an invitation for others to see these wonderful places. Thanks for sharing them!
How were you able to find all these beautiful places at the right time with incredible colors?
Aspen

GIC

Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:04 pm

I have to say that is the best panorama shot this year and some of the best quality pictures that I have seen posted this year. Absolutely brilliant photography.
GIC

pwt54

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:15 am

Great photos. I see you went to Sugar Hill, NH. I like that area.

faxmachineanthem

Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks all for the nice comments.
Aspen wrote:How were you able to find all these beautiful places at the right time with incredible colors?
Well, I followed pwt's advice to come up the first full week of October and stay near Rt 2. We stayed at Shadow Lake in Concord. And the timing was right on the money! The NEK and the White Mountains were beautiful for the first 4 or 5 days of the trip, and then we started working our way south through Peacham, Groton State Forest, and eventually out to the Warren area. It's amazing how much there is to see in Vermont.

Aspen

Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:05 pm

Fax, so glad you were able to capture so many beautiful pictures considering this 2009 peak season coincided with numerous overcast skies and rain during the best time of the Foliage season to be in Vermont. Do know alot of overcast sky pictures come out nicely but while we were up in New Hampshire and Vermont, we had more than we wanted. Would have liked a few sunnier days! Nevertheless, was alot of fun experiencing the unexpected snow showers at Dixville Notch (NH) and three layers of mountains covered in different colors when raining; Jefferson Notch (NH)all white with snow. Looking at Jefferson Notch with binoculars really was awesome to see pastel colors of snow which was leaves under the snow!
Get any chase to drive along the Lamoille River in Johnson/Jefferson, Vermont?
Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures; also thanks to old faithful, Vermont's very own, PWT, for showing so many of us the "way to go" in Vermont! Believe it, Vermont is a pleasure rain or shine! Every autumn, this wonderful Forum is jam packed with PWT's and many others!! advise and suggestions to make Fall Foliage trips to Vermont enjoyable. Nice to be there with warm sunshine but so many wonderful experiences DO occur, rain or shine!
Aspen

Andy

Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:05 pm

FAX: Really like your "take" on Lake Willoughby. Also, the fog "worked" for Peacham. Especially like the "up close" intimate shot. But the Foggy Mountains of Danville is your real SHOW STOPPER! Thats what we refer to as a "wall hanger"!!!

Wonderful stuff.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

rk

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi Aspen,

Is this Jefferson Notch you went near Gorham NH.

I happened to come across a dirt road leading to Jeferson Notch near route 2 NH but didn't go as it was muddy.

Did you actually take that road in snow.

Would love to see pics of Jefferson Notch if it is possible for you to post here.

Regards,
rK.

Aspen

Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi RK
October 1st, was a gloomy, rainy day so we were driving (NH) Scenic Routes 2 and 16 to enjoy scenes from the car. It was from Route 2 that I peered over to see snow on a mountain. We pulled over. Viewed the mountain(s) with our binoculars. With different altitudes, the higher mountains were white with snow. Amusing, with binoculars could see some pastel colors in the snow which obviously was colorful leaves of trees, middle mountains had no snow but leaves gave them a pinkish hue and lower mountains had early colors of oranges and yellows We did not drive Jefferson Notch. However, we did turn left from Route 2 at or nearby Gorham onto Route 16 then headed North to Dixville Notch where we were welcomed with snow showers. For a moment felt like we were in a winter wonderland. Dixville Notch, the lake and the Balsams with snow showers were another beautiful and unexpected sight!
Aspen