History of Peak Fall in Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ukcolonel

History of Peak Fall in Vermont

Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:04 pm

I am resident in the UK.
My wife and I are planning to visit New England this fall ,and ,of course do not want to miss the peak. We have been before ,missed it once, got it once and in between once!!
We love the country ( and the people) but need help to pinpoint ,say 7 days of best chance to hit the peak, within a 21 day holiday.
Any advice would be most welcome. Many thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Re: History of Peak Fall in Vermont

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:06 am

Hello:
The information you need is on http://www.foliage-vermont.com

No one can say what the peak day will be in a particular area. This past season saw a slower start to foliage, but then it caught up and was right on schedule. Give yourself a two week window and plan your trip with some flexibility so that you can reschdule where you will be. You could always visit Northern Vermont or even Quebec's Eastern Townships if you seem to have arrived too early. The foliage colors start first in Quebec around the St. Lawrence, because it is further north. If you are coming from the UK, flying into Montreal would be a good choice. Montreal is a wonderful city and you could stay there a day or two if foliage was a bit delayed. Vermont is only an hours drive away. Also, I'd bring a laptop so you can connect up and see what is going on. A lot of peepers are doing this now!

broek

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:00 am

Iam having the same 'problem' pin pointing the time. Indeed starting more north if early is an option.
But iam more afraid of being late (southern new england forest is not as nice as in the north).
Which time does it 'normaly' start in Canada?
I am planning on ariving on 8 october.

pwt54

Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:50 am

By October 8th peak colors should be around the route US 2 area of Vermont. There will be good late colors north of Rt. US 2 and good early colors just south of there. Route 100 from Lowell, Vt south is the premier road. In the north, routes 58, 16, 15 108, 109, US 2, and 12 are great rides. South of Rt. US 2, routes 12, 17, 125, 302, 14, 110, 132, 113, and 25 are great rides. This will be a busy time in Vt. at that time. Hopefully you have a room already. If not try the Burlington, Stowe, Waitsfield, or Montpelier areas.

ixl

Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:58 pm

It really depends entirely on the season, in my experience. There are seasons where by October 8th there is almost no color down where I am, others where the trees are bare. The way this summer has been so far, one would think the color would be early, but last year it was also cool all summer and the foliage lasted a long, long time. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

rmclagg

Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:12 am

I am planning a trip to the NE Kingdom 29SEP-02OCT 2004, staying near Averill. Unfortunately my vacation window is limited to these days. I chose the NE Kingdom b/c I figured that I would have a better chance of catching peak/just past peak foilage for this earlier time of the season. Looking for confirmation of my thought process, am I sending myself too far north? Any and all advice is welcome. Understand that this is very subjective to weather between now and then, but I know there are some foilage experts out there who can venture some suggestions. Thanks.

pwt54

Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:58 pm

Fireboy98, I'd say you've made a good choice. If there is any peak foliage in Vt. at that time it will be up there.

Lmsalcito

Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:10 am

We are flying into VT on 10/9 and staying until 10/16. Will we be too late? Where is best area to stay at that time? I know it is hard to tell, but we are not close and want to be close to peak, certainly not too late.

Bridgewater peeper

Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:57 pm

Woodstock and Bridgewater areas seem to be perfect that week. My wife and I are going up to bridgewater the same time

pwt54

Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:50 pm

Hey Lmsalcito , Bridgewater Peeper has it right. Woodstock and south of there should be good. You will have some good late color a little north of woodstock.

Lmsalcito

Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:29 pm

Thanks "PWT" and "Bridgewater" That makes me feel a bit better anyway. I thought we would have to go to the way South to get some nice color. I love it when it is Blazing.. I don't care if the leaves are dropping a bit- I don't want any part of heat or green...We are from South Florida and all we have is heat and green. Where are some nice area's ? We found a couple of cabins by lakes in woods.. one was west of Rutland??? The other was Ludlow area and then one in Brattleboro. Aso have a few B & B's in mind.. Not too much left there..I like pretty Villages, quaint shops, cute restaurants, apple orchards, As well as just taking it all in at all of the nature spots. Should we stay away from elevation at that time... ? Doesn't that turn first? There is so much to consider, I have a huge migrane hedache!!! Thanks so much for all of your help.. Sorry to be long winded. L

Bridgewater peeper

Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:49 am

Woodstock has a craft and apple fair in Baileys Meadow, its great, some very nice things there to purchase. Also Quechee Village is a must. The biggest antique store I have ever seen, also there will be a craft show outside all weekend. Theres a stain glass shop thats also a must see. We vist both of the places every year, actually was just up in mid july, temps in the 70's, very nice. I know about the south FLA thing, used to stay in Marathon.

pwt54

Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:06 pm

If you like quaint villages check out Grafton, Vt. along with Newfane, Chester, and Townshend. They are all next to each other and just above Brattleboro. If you are having trouble finding lodging, try the Killington Ski Area. They may have some condos available. For a long stay they can be a good deal.

salesmom

Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:54 pm

Hello...new to this forum and planning our first trip to Vermont for fall foliage viewing. We are scheduled to be in Burlington Oct 4-8th. What can I expect at that time and what areas would you suggest I check out! Thanks

pwt54

Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:35 pm

Well Salesmom, I'd say you are in the right area at the right time. Best colors should be along the route US2 corridor from Burlington to St. Johnsbury. Are you staying in Burlington?