THE BEST OF VERMONT; Scenic Drives, Viewpoints, Ponds, Lakes, Streams, Bridges and Buildings

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:37 pm

The Kelly Stand Road is an easy drive in a car. Colors in Mid Oct. will not be the best.

scurtis623

Load map onto gps?

Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:46 pm

How do you do this? I have a garmin 60csx.
Shirley
faxmachineanthem wrote:I did my best to map this out on Google maps if anybody else is interested. You can even send the route to your GPS. Looks like a good one, thanks NEK!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 17294&z=11

From_the_NEK wrote:Loop through the central Northeast Kingdom

Living in the Northeast Kingdom, I could go on for ever about the various routes that provide great foliage viewing. Here is one of my favorites.

Note: This route is rather complex and involves quite a bit of gravel road driving (which in my opinion is where the best viewing is found). However. if you're up for trying it, I think you'll find it much better that traveling through the valleys of the NEK which is where the major paved roads keep you.

deaner1971

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:00 pm

pwt54 wrote:The Kelly Stand Road is an easy drive in a car. Colors in Mid Oct. will not be the best.
Too early? Too late?

Thanks for the help.

pwt54

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:33 am

Too late most of the way. The beginning and end of this road are in the lowlands and may have good.

deaner1971

Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Yeah, that what I was thinking too. I am really sad that I couldn't come up earlier. I am trying to balance the schedules of four other people so the weekend of the 16th - 19th was the only time I could make it work. Looks like we'll be past the peak which is a shame. Usually I make it up during one of the first two weeks. Oh well, a weekend in Vermont is still too good to pass up.

jaspal

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:39 pm

Guys, back at the hotel from my 3 day VT visit.

Thank Andy, Cttanky, mmvt and all for the great suggestions.

My personal favourite was the route from stowe to Jeffersonville via smugglers notch.. its great.

The other route which i liked doing today was going from Williston to Lyndonville -- on the lake (was raining and hence had to rush and hence do not know the name), but it was awesome.

Going to visit the Richmond church now for the Chicken Pie Supper. Trust this is gonna be a great experience.

BTW - You should visit the Cold Hollow Cider Mill for great maple syrups and other products... they are really great.. Thanks Andy for the great suggestion.

Cheers
Jaspal
Cheers
Jaspal

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:16 pm

Jaspal! Glad you are having so much fun! The Cold Hollow Cider Mill is awesome. Smuggler's Notch is a must do for anyone. So exciting to go through it for sure!

I was with bm on one of our three day tours and we took a photo of the Richmond Church. We went inside and it was lovely.

Please let me know how you liked your Chicken Pie Supper! I would like to continue my church supper thread every year and I hear that one is great!

I can't wait to hear all about your experience! :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

jaspal

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi,

The chicken pie supper was awesome. Just back from it.

I would like to thank Susan who suggested the Richmond Church Supper.

It was a great experience, especially to be on the same table with the locals and hearing from them.

We had a 95 year beautiful lady on the same table as ours - it was great to talk to her. She has been coming to this Church for the last 40 years!!

The others at the table were equally good and they were happy to learn that we travelled 5000 miles from Oman (Middle East) to be in VT.

Learnt that the women cook the supper and is being served by the men.

Vermonters are great people and this is one of the forums which lets you be -- 'Arrive a tourist, go back a local'.

Cheers and thanks to All.

If anyone happens to visit the Middle East or India, would be happy to help.

Jaspal
Cheers
Jaspal

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:46 pm

Jaspal: I found what you wrote about your supper experience very endearing. I am glad you were able to thoroughly enjoy Vermont and meet some wonderful folks who live there. I have always found Vermonters to be very welcoming and helpful and extremely proud of their state.

You have been a great contributor to the forum and I hope you return to Vermont again in the future.

Have a safe trip back to Oman. If you have any more adventures please be sure to post before you leave!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Andy

Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Jaspal: I'll chime in. Glad you found Vermont such a welcoming place. I truly believe most of America is like that, but embarrassingly for some of us, it isn't always so. Please come back and please keep in touch with the forum!

Thanks, too for all the kind remarks. When I first joined here, I, too found it to be an amazing forum, really like no other I have ever visited.

Best regards,
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

faxmachineanthem

Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:29 pm

From_the_NEK,
My wife and I took your central NEK driving loop and it was _incredible_. Thank you so much-- that had to be a lot of work for you to put that together. Pudding Hill Rd, Darling Hill Rd, Hinton Hill Rd... amazing. I will say that next time I would skip Wheeler Mtn Rd. We had an SUV so it wasn't a problem, but it was long and ROUGH enough that it got a little tiring. But the whole route was the absolute highlight of our week and I got some of my favorite shots on it. Thanks again!

From_the_NEK

Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:03 am

Glad I could help! :D

Aspen

Mountain Road (Rte 108) Attractions /from Stowe

Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Highly recommend anyone visiting Stowe, Vermont or vicinity to drive
Mountain Road (Rte 108)
From Stowe, Route 108 heads Northwest

Just outside the village of Stowe on Rte 108 is
the Von Trapp Lodge (Van Trapp Family that inspired "The Sound of Music" used to live in this area.)
Beautiful mountain and meadow scenes.
Nice bakery nearby lodge.
To get to Von Trapp Lodge grounds,
take Rte 108 NW, make a left onto Luce Hill Road then another left onto Trapp Hill Road

Route 108, left onto Brook Road, will take you to a covered bridge
There is a parking area just before the Covered bridge

Near the Red Barn Shops from Route 108 to Brook Road,
there is a portion of the paved, 5.5 mile Stowe Recreation Path for walking, jogging biking, and baby strollers. This recreational path parallels Route 108
(The 5.5 Recreation path actually begins in Stowe behind Community Church and ends at Brook Road. May get on and off this recreational path at different places. Need not walk, jog nor ride entire 5.5 miles)

Seven miles NW from the village of Stowe, on Route 108,
a toll road or gondola will go up most of the way to Mt. Mansfield. Need to walk final short distance to summit if desired.
Toll road is open late May through mid-October, weather permitting.
Toll Road is a scenic drive. Summit provides a 360 degree view.
Gondola operates mid-June through mid-October, weather permitting.

Off Route 108 not far from the Toll Road, there is a waterfall
Keep a lookout for signs guiding to the waterfalls. Referring to the Waterfalls thread on this Fall Foliage Forum, the name of this waterfall is Bingham Falls . Check the Waterfalls Thread for description of this waterfall.

Route 108, Smuggler's Notch....a MUST SEE and experience
Warning: Travel trailers are not recommended for driving through Smuggler's Notch. Witnessed someone ignoring posted warning signs. Trailer got badly damaged from force through a tight curve.
Do not miss drive through Smuggler's Notch. Some parking areas (fill fast) for those who want to get out for photography sessions or hike up rocks to Smuggler's Cave.

Route 108 has many lodgings, restaurants and businesses. This is a Route which offers plenty to see and do at various times of the year!
Pick up one of Stowe's free "placemat" maps at the visitors' center, or some businesses' entrance pamphlet racks. It's a wonderful map that outlines alot of local things to see and do.
There are "placemat" maps of many of Vermont towns. Ask local for the placemat maps. Very helpful and informative.

Assure you, Vermont's Route 108 will be a Route worth traveling! Enjoy!

Aspen
Last edited by Aspen on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy

Day Trip Nearby Route 4, Route 100, Route 100A

Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:23 am

REPOST FROM ASPEN:

A nice day trip may begin nearby Routes, 4, 100 South and 100A.

From Route 4, drive to the Killington Ski area.
Colorful foliage in late September and early October may be experienced in this beautiful area. Along Killington ski area drive, look for an assortment of Hay Bale Art in front of businesses.

A K1 gondola (fee) takes visitors up from Killington Base Lodge to the Peak Restaurant. Some may enjoy taking lunches along. Just below the summit is a nature trail that leads to the Killington Peak.
Return to Route 4 then pick up Route 100 South
Drive to 100A, Plymouth, Vermont to the Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site
Open daily through mid-October
Admission fee
Plymouth Notch is a small village of 1920 era buildings which are open to the public. Allocate at least an hour or more for this historical homestead tour. There's lots of historical and educational readings with the displays. President Coolidge's gravesite is not on the grounds where the historical buildings are located. The cemetery is down a road which is across Route 100A Inquire at Visitor's Center if directions are needed.

Following visit to the Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site, return to
Route 100 South. Head towards Ludlow. Approximately 4 miles North of Ludlow is the Green Mountain Sugar House.
Open Nine to six. Treat yourself to a Vermont maple creamee. It's a soft swirl ice cream which has a pleasant maple flavor.

Should time permit, venture farther south on route 100 to Weston where The Vermont Country Store and Weston Village Store are located.
The entire length of Route 100 is very scenic. Route 100 has something for everyone. Plan your day and drive according to your interests.

In the areas mentioned you should have a wonderful day trip!

Aspen

Aspen

Stowe: Popular Driving Routes

Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:16 pm

GoStowe has some invaluable travel information related to visiting the Stowe area of Vermont.
Among an assortment of information are eleven planned, popular driving routes.
Go to this website: http://www.gostowe.com
Upon opening the Stowe homepage,
Click on the Stowe Foliage Central box
On the Foliage Central page, scroll down to end to
Scenic Drives
Title of drive, Length/milage of drive, directions and color ratings are provided for the eleven drives.
Printouts may be made of directions for the eleven drives/routes.
When in or nearby Stowe, enjoy driving some of these popular routes.
Thanks GoStowe!

Aspen
Last edited by Aspen on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.