My Favorite Autumn Poem, Quotes, Quips and Sayings!

A forum to discuss your inspirations and reflections while visiting Vermont in any season. What evokes your passion for the state of Vermont? Do you have an amusing story to tell or a memorable experience while traveling there? All are welcome to participate. You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderator: ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

My Favorite Autumn Poem, Quotes, Quips and Sayings!

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:10 pm

This poem has special meaning to me because it reminds me of my childhood and one of many autumn poems read to me during the season. My Dad burned leaves in our back yard pit and the smell was intoxicating. If I close my eyes to this day, all these memories come flooding back. Fall was a big occasion in my family as you can surmise. We celebrated it from beginning to end with all sorts of excursions, festivities and decorations. It culminated with glorious Halloween celebrations. We lived in the country and in our back yard was a deep and lovely forest. My recollections of fall in New England are ingrained in me forever and I have been hooked ever since! I just can’t seem to let go! I constantly remind myself how fortunate I was to have been blessed with such a fulfilling and delightful childhood. I’ve included some fall quotes, sayings and Vermont quips. Enjoy!

Do you have any to add?

Autumn Fires
Robert Louis Stevenson (from A Child’s Garden of Verses, 1913)

In the other gardens
And all up the vale,
From the autumn bonfires
See the smoke trail!

Pleasant summer over
And all the summer flowers,
The red fire blazes,
The gray smoke towers.

Sing a song of seasons!
Something bright in all!
Flowers in the summer,
Fires in the fall!

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.
George Eliot

Autumn, the year's last, loveliest smile.
William Cullen Bryant

All in all Vermont is a jewel state, small but precious.
Pearl S. Buck

I love Vermont, because of her hills and valleys, her scenery and invigorating climate, but most of all because of her indomitable people.
Calvin Coolidge

Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
Vermont proverb

To the European, a Yankee is an American.
To an American, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To a New Englander, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
To a Vermonter, a Yankee is someone who eats apple pie for breakfast.
And to a Vermonter who eats apple pie for breakfast
a Yankee is someone who eats it with a knife.

Old Yankee Joke
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

brandtb

RE: My Favorite Autumn Poem, Quotes, Quips and Sayings!

Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:52 pm

Absolutely WONDERFUL...thanks for posting!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:03 am

Thanks Brandtb: Glad you enjoyed it!