Mud Season Panorama

We started a mud section page on Scenes of Vermont almost 10 years ago. The first pages are still up at www.scenesofvermont.com/mud/index.cfm. Unfortunately, the orginal pages were not spam proof and so the section was abandoned. It has now been reactivated here where the board has automatic safeguards against spammers
admin
Site Admin

Mud Season Panorama

Postby admin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:10 pm

What does Mud Season in Vermont look like? View it in a Quicktime Panorama here!

http://www.scenesofvermont.com/mud/mudpano.html

ctyanky

Postby ctyanky » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:08 am

Tim: this is a very clever way to show what mud season looks like! All these years of being a New Englander (I know some New Englanders up north don't consider Connecticut part of the clan :wink: :wink: ) and I never experienced this fifth season! Nor did I hear too much about it until I joined the SOV website. We just don't have many unpaved roads down here. :roll:

The mud situation does looks extreme in this panorama! I can only imagine how the cars look after a couple of weeks! Folks must have many pairs of boots as well.

I truly had no clue what mud season looked like! Thanks for putting this up. It was fun navigating through the panorama!
CT - Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

admin
Site Admin

Mud season plays havoc with front ends!

Postby admin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:48 am

The most annoying thing about mud season is that it grips your wheels and throws your vehicle left and right, almost totally out of control. This frequently results in bent tie-rod ends and other steering components. The mud also collects inside the rims of the wheels causing a total unbalancing of the the tires. Every time I get out onto the highway, during mud season, my vehicle shudders down the road, almost as if the wheels are going to come off. The only remedy is to use a high pressure hose to clean off the mud. In some instances in can mean a trip to a garage and time up on a hoist for hand cleaning!

oregonhealthy

Mud season panorama

Postby oregonhealthy » Thu May 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Thanks for the panorama - I wondered what the fifth season looked like, never having been out there for it. It looks more difficult to drive in than snow - or in the 7 months of rain that we have in Northwest Oregon. I did notice that there is a dearth of paved roads in VT, now that you mention it.

When I move, I was thinking of pouring an asphalt driveway - would that be foolish if I'm tracking mud onto it from the road all the time, or would it be worth it?

admin
Site Admin

Mud Season plays havoc with front ends!

Postby admin » Thu May 07, 2009 1:38 pm

Having an asphalt driveway is quite common. It also makes snow clearance a lot easier. Stay away from gravel driveways..the stones end up on your lawn!

oregonhealthy

Mud Season plays havoc with front ends!

Postby oregonhealthy » Thu May 07, 2009 2:58 pm

Ooh - good point - stones in my lawn and garden are NOT okay! Do you get out the snow shovel, do you contract with a private snow shoveling service, or what is the most common if you have a longish driveway?

autzig

Postby autzig » Sun May 10, 2009 8:12 am

I've read your prior posts and I see that you are planning to move from Oregon to Vermont. I love Vermont but my heart is still in Oregon. I lived there from 1982-1986. An hour from the Ocean and 90 minutes from Timberline. While the winter is long and gray, it is also GREEN with vines and ivy everywhere. It rarely snows and never gets really cold.

I live in Minnesota now and for sheer beauty, both Oregon and Vermont have what Minnesotans only dream of.

What makes you want to make that cross country move when you already have everything?

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Sun May 10, 2009 8:15 am

I KNOW Vermont, Al. Vermont is a FRIEND of mine. And Oregon, you are NO Vermont! :lol:
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

autzig

Postby autzig » Sun May 10, 2009 8:24 am

Anybody who wasn't around for the 1988 election won't have a clue about what your post means, but I do. Good thing or I'd still be scratching my head.

oregonhealthy

Oregon to Vermont

Postby oregonhealthy » Mon May 11, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm moving to Vermont because it's calling to me. Oregon is the land my parents fell in love with and I do enjoy it and am glad I have lived here, but this stage of my life is done. Every time I visit Vermont, a bigger part of me stays behind when I leave. It has everything I want to have for my children as well, which Oregon is quickly losing, and my heart tells me I'm a Vermonter.

I've never felt like an Oregonian, but from the first time I visited Vermont I felt like a Vermonter.

Yes, one of the beauties of Oregon is that in less than three hours you can visit a different type of land - mountain, desert, ocean, etc. I am about an hour and a half from the ocean and 90 minutes from Timberline - where did you live?

I went to college in Minnesota and loved it for the snow and the cold. (Minnesotans everywhere are going, "are you in-SANE?!") The 6 months of Wet Season before the Dry Season (Oregon's two seasons) are bearable, but barely. I'm tired of two seasons. Growing up in Connecticut, I knew four seasons and I want them all back. I understand Vermont has a fifth season. I'll buy big boots and good tires, will do my best to slog through it and just acknowledge that the mud may win every now and then. Let's face it, with 6 months of rain in Oregon, we have our fair share of mud, just not as many dirt roads.

And you're right. Andy, I have absolutely no clue what your comment means. :?:

autzig

Postby autzig » Mon May 11, 2009 6:45 pm

I lived west of Beaverton off the Sunset Highway between 185th St and Cornelius Pass Road. Since its been over 20 years since I've lived there, I guess I've forgotten about some of the negatives of the rainy season. I do remember taking my wife and children to a place where we cut down our Christmas tree. It rained the whole time and in Minnesota, we drag our Christmas tree to the car. In Oregon we had to carry it becasue dragging it through the mud isn't a good idea.

Andy's comment comes from the Vice Presidential debate in 1988. Dan Quayle said that John Kennedy was younger than he was when elected president. Lloyd Bensten, the Democrat candidate said: "I knew Jack Kennedy. He was a friend of mine and you are no Jack Kennedy". That was a headline grabbing put down. I guess when I compare Oregon to Vermont, Andy doesn't think there is any comparison. He may know Vermont, but I know Oregon and I love them both.

Al

oregonhealthy

Oregon to Vermont

Postby oregonhealthy » Mon May 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Oh - I'm in Tualatin. Yes - Northwest Oregon means mud in the Winter, not snow, although in the past few years we've treasured one whole week of snow. Well, some of us treasured it anyway. My kids loved the time off school and I loved the beauty of the snow. This year we had a whopping 18" or so - the entire Western section of the state shut down, incapacitated. Hilarious.

One of the things I love about Oregon is the long growing season. I know I'm giving that up - I'm pretty sure Vermont's growing season is half the length of Oregon's - something like that - but that just means I have different challenges to face when planting.

I know there are many similarities between the states - that's why Oregonians and Vermonters keep trading sides of the country. I hear about Vermonters moving here all the time and pretty much everyone I've told about moving to Vermont has nodded and said yup, some day they want to move to Vermont, too. I promise to quit telling people. One year Oregon had a mass flooding of Californians and someone put a sign up on one of the interstate bridges that said something to the effect of, "Oregon - a nice place to visit - have a safe trip home." I don't want Vermont to resent my moving in.

Oh - the Jack Kennedy comment. Yeah - well, Quayle pretty much stands alone in his own little subcategory - no one quite like him. Thank heavens!

AndreasVP

Postby AndreasVP » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:23 am

I like the "washboard" effect on the dirt/mud roads. Your car shimmys along while your teeth chatter like crazy. You can always get the back end swinging around to the edge of the road if you drive too fast. Thought the guy in front of me driving on our road was going to end up in the CT river when his back end swung out towards the riverbank
On our road you can see the driving lane switching back and both over both sides of the road avoiding the potholes

Return to “Mud Season in Vermont”