Witness Tree

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Witness Tree

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:00 am

Hi Al! my friend from West Charleston is not getting up there to her vacation house until around 2 and we are going to head right to Willoughby first. Then Jobs Pond. I will use the forum to contact you on our way there. It was going to be morning but now it is after 2! I'm forbidden to linger at Farm Way! :lol: I have to check into my lodging by 4:30 and her partner is arriving to the house then, so the timeframe is short. What time were you guys going to be there?

It is going to be a gorgeous day indeed and I'm beyond excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to our other upcoming meetups, praying the weather is decent, but beyond our control...……….. :D :D :D

bogey456

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:21 am

Hi Ct... We will probably be hitting the Island pond area sometime after 9:00 depending on many stops we may make on our way there. Which end of Lake Willoughby are you planning to go to? Al
Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:34 am

Hi Al! South end, will do the CCC road to the overlook too which is close by. Have you been on that? I couldn't believe the views up there of Willoughby. My friend hasn't even heard of it and her vacation house is 10 minutes from the lake. Phil took me there the first time and I took my CT friend there last year. Phil is the SOV road warrior and I have certainly benefitted from his experiences working for the state on the roads for 40 years! He is amazing! And a true gentleman Vermonter I must say! He has also learned to adjust to my crazy adventures! :lol:

You are going to have an awesome day! Looking forward to meeting you and Bob. Stay tuned!

bogey456

Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:30 am

Hi CT... I believe we have been to the view you are talking about as I have a point in my GPS called "Lake Willoughby Long View" (which I got from someone on the forum several years ago). I'm not sure how successful we'll be in trying to get in contact thru the forum while up there. I do have the forum website on my phone so we'll see. Al
Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:47 pm

Al: the CCC road we took was on 5A across from the Mt. Pisgah trailhead. There is another entrance to the CCC road on 5 near Doloff Pond Road. Which one did you do?

bogey456

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:49 pm

CT... We also took the one on 5A across from the Mt. Pisgah trailhead.
Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:19 pm

Al: did you and Bob get to south beach of Willoughby today? We didn't get there until 4 because I was exploring the village of Brownington and climbed the mini fire tower. We didn't do Jobs yet but instead my friend took me to her amazing property on Pensioner Pond! We walked around her land that she bought to her beach front and time got short. I wanted to get up to my lodging in the village because it was on a VERY long dirt road and I wasn't quite familiar with it. Stone House Road and School House Road right down to 5A. Gorgeous! More later! :D :D :D I'm beat! Been up since 4!!! CT

bogey456

Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:47 am

Hi CT...Yes,we did 475 miles. We left Nashua at 6:00 and got back at 5:45-a long day for us as well. We took rt 3 off of 93 to Colebrook and went to Beaver Brook Falls than cut across to Canaan Vt. We took Canaan Hill Rd to Forrest Lake and then went over to Little Averill Pond. Got on Rt 114 down in to Island Pond. We went down to the southern end of Island Pond where we got some nice shots of the three churches that you can see back in Island Pond. We got that one from Andy and Carol's book. Then over to Job's, Bald Hill ponds and over to the south end of Lake Willoughby. We then took the CCC road up to the "Long View" viewpoint. From there we did Bean, Wheeler and May ponds before heading home. I felt a bit early but all in all a pretty successful day. Al
Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:52 pm

Wow Al, that's a lot of territory and a lot of ponds! What was the color like at Averill? I love Wheeler Pond! Sorry we missed you but we'll catch up next week! I wanted to do the CCC road, how were the views up there? The water in Willoughby looked like the Carribean last time we were up there. Must have been the time of day, right light!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:12 am

Al: are you coming to VT today? Wondering what you think about our route 2 corridor trip for Tuesday? Any diversions are welcome so we find peak color. Am willing to up the game to a different route if you and Bob want to go back to the NEK. Phil would be fine too. I'm hoping to find someone who is in the Danville, Peacham, Marshfield areas for updates unless you are trekking back in the areas the next two days!

bogey456

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:56 am

Hi CT...No we won't be back up until Tuesday. Like I said before, you guys lead and we'll follow. We just want the opportunity to hopefully get some great photos. What I think we would like is nice back roads w/ farms, barns etc. as we kind of had our fill of ponds Friday. That's not to say we don't want any ponds. Think Sayon and Owls head. I was a little disappointed in Little Averill in that the only place we could get down to the water, without cutting thru someone's yard was at the boat ramp. Maybe took the wrong road in. The color was a little early but not bad. The view of Lake Willoughby from the CCC road was ok,just a little early. Al
Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:24 am

Al: I have a gut feeling Groton State Forest is calling us. We can start there. Noyes is always a charm! I still am going to find your so called Witness Tree in Peacham which started this prolific and living thread!!! :P

bogey456

Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:14 am

Hi CT... We're leaving in about an hour, see you guys at the café. Al
Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:55 am

Al. We will not be there at 9:30. We had to reschedule time. Please read your private messages. See you guys at 11!!!!!!!!!!!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:14 pm

Al: Just so you know, I almost killed myself trying to find your "witness tree" today. I swear it was it! Look at that photo again! We are trying another venue tomorrow. My innkeeper has a list of folks for me to talk to at the festival tomorrow and I KNOW I will find it before I leave. I'm on a mission! It's driving me crazy! All your fault! :mrgreen: Hi Bob! (private joke)! :wink: