Questions about Owls Head and Kettle Pond

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Rockwall Tim

Questions about Owls Head and Kettle Pond

Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Question about the hike from the Owl's Head parking lot to the "summit" where Kettle Pond can be imaged. Is that a reasonably easy hike? My wife and I will be 67 by October and are in reasonable shape for our age. We both do a lot of walking. Should we be able to handle the hike? I've heard it is a 15-minute hike and I've also heard 30 minutes. Assuming we do this, how long should it take us?

Also, is the shot of Kettle pond strictly a morning shot?

Tim Perkins
Rockwall, TX
II Cor. 4:17

Utah Baker

Re: Questions about Owls Head and Kettle Pond

Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:34 am

Easy hike Tim, my husband and I are just a few years behind you and enjoyed it very much. Time of day I'll leave up to the experts, I've never hit at peak, always past, but always beautiful!

autzig

Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:38 pm

The hike isn't difficult but it is uphill so be aware of that.

The view of Kettle Pond is due south so this can be a good morning or evening shot. The problem here is that there is a gate at the entrance and it opens late and closes early. I went there for an early morning shot and found the gate closed and locked. I think the sign said it would open at 8:00. I went on to other things and came back about 8:30 and it was still closed.

For an early morning shot, consider Ricker Pond. It is just off Hwy 232 along the way from Groton towards Owl's Head. I've been there for early morning fog. There is a little dam at the south end of the pond and a nice stream flowing from there. If there is fog on the pond, there will be steam rising from the stream. Temperatures in the upper 20s or low 30s should guarantee fog on the pond and steam rising from the stream. I froze my fingers making this photo, but it turned out pretty well.

Al
Attachments
Ricker-Pond-in-Fog.jpg
Ricker-Pond-in-Fog.jpg (202.53 KiB) Viewed 44498 times

autzig

Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Here's a shot I made of the stream coming out of Ricker Pond.
Attachments
stream7.jpg
stream7.jpg (173.29 KiB) Viewed 44498 times

Rockwall Tim

Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:42 pm

Those are magnificent shots...congrats! And thanks for the advice...

Utah Baker

Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Love the stream shot Al, ya never disappoint!

Andy

Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:13 am

Hi Tim: As Al notes, the locked gate is the issue. Inside the gate there is a gravel drive, all uphill. Cannot remember the distance, but maybe about a mile? I have considered parking outside the gate and hiking up to the trailhead, but haven't been there to do it. I would think it would be all of an hour going up because of the uphill climb. My eBook has the info in it and some shots of Kettle and of Ricker. Ricker is a nice little spot and very easy to get to.
Here are a couple Kettle Pond shots from up on Owl's Head. They were taken in mid-late afternoon on a sunny day:

http://www.lightcentricphotography.com/ ... /i-jSjqC5L

http://www.lightcentricphotography.com/ ... /i-Q9m3FCj

and 2 of Ricker Pond:

http://www.lightcentricphotography.com/ ... /i-R3Jf5d9

http://www.lightcentricphotography.com/ ... /i-gGjLrzj
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Utah Baker

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:45 am

Love, love, love, those reflection shots!!! Nice to hear from you Andy, thanks for sharing!

Andy

Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:44 pm

Thanks, Utah
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Rockwall Tim

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:34 pm

I'm still a bit fuzzy on how I get to Owl's Head. On googlemaps, it looks like Lanesboro Rd. would be the road to turn on off 232. Someone clear this up for me.

autzig

Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:12 pm

Tim, Lanesboro Road is the road to Owl's head. I don't know that it is marked though. You will see a gate near the Highway 232 that marks the road up there. I've been there several times and have had no problem finding it. Just keep in mind that the gate is closed at night and it may not be open in the morning when the sign says it should be.

Al

Rockwall Tim

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:42 pm

Yeah, I checked on googlestreetmaps and there's an Owl's Head sign (very small) at Lanesboro Rd and 232. Bingo!

Utah Baker

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:21 pm

Yes, I do remember a small sign.

From_the_NEK

Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:32 pm

Although Google maps has it labelled as Lanesboro Rd, technically, Lanesboro road is on the opposite side of route 232 from the road to Owl's Head. However the road sign is helpful in identifying the Owls Head access road. If you are approaching from the north make sure you turn left and go uphill. If you are approaching from the south, turn right. If you make the turn and discover you are going downhill, you turned the wrong direction :D .

The access road is about .85 miles long and climbs about 350' in elevation. The hike is short (approx 1/4 mile) and covers about 135 vertical feet. If you are able to climb stairs, you should be okay.

If you plan to go here at sunset, there is a sign at the gate at the bottom of the road the that says "Gate closes at Sunset". However, they don't close it immediately at sunset. You have about a half hour after the sun goes down. They really close it at "dark". After the sun sets take in the last few rays and snap the last set of pictures and then head back to the car. You may want to bring a flashlight or head lamp since it does get dark in the woods a lot faster than at the open observation point.

Here are a few pictures from the sunset at Owl's Head this past Sunday.

ImageOwls Head Sunset by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageOwls Head Sunset Reflection by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageCamels Hump at Sunset by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

I'm not sure what time they open the gate in the morning. however, if there is fog in the valleys, the view from the top of Owls head may be outstanding.

Here is the morning view from Big Deer Mtn (sister peak 1.5 NE of Owls Head). Big Deer is a 2+ mile hike from any access point and the view looks more South and East than West like Owls Head.

ImageMoosilauke Foggy Sunrise by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageFog and Shadows by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

This warm dry weather really lent itself to productive picture taking this weekend :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:33 pm

Tim: these are THE most beautiful photos I have ever seen anywhere of Owls Head. The glow is mesmerizing! Thanks for all your info and talent here on the photography forum! :)