Lunar Eclipse 10/8/14

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

wxman1976

Lunar Eclipse 10/8/14

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:38 am

Hello All! For those who don;t know me I normally post on the foliage forum, but I thought this mornings post was relevant over here too. The October 8th full moon will be a total eclipse providing a rare opportunity for pics of foliage and an eclipse! Here is my post below!

Just a bit of information from NASA this morning:
"From the east coast of North America, totality begins at 6:25 am EDT. The Moon will be hanging low over the western horizon, probably swollen by the famous Moon illusion into a seemingly-giant red orb, briefly visible before daybreak. West-coast observers are even better positioned. The Moon will be high in the sky as totality slowly plays out between 3:25 am and 4:24 am PDT."

I can't remember a pairing of an eclipse with peak foliage. This could be a great opportunity for some rare pictures. Either that or pure LUNACY! This has been posted by me for the CRATER good of the forum! I hope you are not APOLLO'd at me for posting this, and no I'm not a GEMINI. MISSION Accomplished! Love all my friends here New and Old! :lol:
As my friend Joe Bastardi says…Enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you've got!!

Anthony DeVito BS. Meteorology Lyndon State College, Lyndonville VT 1998

wxman1976

Re: Lunar Eclipse 10/8/14

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:19 am

Your Welcome. I wanted to share because this is a really rare opportunity, but not quite. It will actually happen again next year. Sept 28th 2015 will be a total lunar eclipse. Funky how a rare event will happen in consecutive years, so if this year is a bust, well you get a second shot! Being it will be low on the western horizon you will probably have to be at a higher elevation to get a clear shot to the west. I can't wait to see the results!
As my friend Joe Bastardi says…Enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you've got!!

Anthony DeVito BS. Meteorology Lyndon State College, Lyndonville VT 1998

deaner1971

Re: Lunar Eclipse 10/8/14

Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:43 am

Oooooh, now I have to start thinking about how to use this. I will be arriving at Gettysburg in the middle of the night on the 7th/8th and shooting from about 5 AM in order to get some good shots using the full moon in some parts of the park that are publicly accessible prior to sunrise. I was hoping to use its illumination while it was higher in the sky and then include it in shots as it got lower to the ground.

This adds a whole new element... Very exciting but, so much pressure when something is rare as this is.

Any insights from folks on use of the moon in images in general? I have the luxury of using both objects (statues, etc...) and landscapes so, all ideas are welcome!