Sony A7r

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Andy

Sony A7r

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:47 pm

Some of you may know that last Fall, I sold all my Nikon DSLR gear and purchase the new, Sony A7r full frame "mirrorless" body and a couple Carl Zeiss lenses. I finally received the A7r and the Zeiss 35mm f2.8 lens just before Christmas. I still haven't had (or made) the opportunity to shoot some serious images with it. However, I have now had it long enough to thoroughly familiarize myself with its operation.

The NEX series, which I have carried for about a year now, and which persuaded me to make the "jump", was enough different from my DSLR body, that it took some getting used to. It also meant that I had to change my shooting style a bit, to accommodate the differences.

I am happy to report that the A7 series is more similar to my Nikon DSLR than the NEX is. Therefore, I have been able to set the A7 up more like the Nikon D800 I was shooting. The control layout and the menu system is logical and less confusing than the NEX menu was. On the whole, it appears to be a very user-friendly camera.

I will report back, once I get some images worth showcasing.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

deaner1971

Re: Sony A7r

Thu May 29, 2014 7:56 am

Andy,

I picked up the a77 at Christmas. It isn't full framed but I just couldn't justify the jump to the a99.

I am seeing big improvements in image quality and will post soon.

Thanks!

Dean

Andy

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:12 pm

I finally had an opportunity to use this new gear. These were shot on my recent trip to Ireland, with the A7r and the Sony/Zeiss 24-70 f4. All are handheld:

I am generally happy with the Image Quality, though I took a lot of images with the NEX-6 APS sensor size and still remain thoroughly impressed with the IQ of that setup
Andy

Utah Baker

Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:27 am

Andy, Ireland, huh, you lucky duck! My husband lived in Ireland for two years before we were married, and we got to go back and visit nearly 20 years ago this last May. So I know what a beautiful time of year you enjoyed. Hope you got to kiss the Blarney Stone!

The photos look very nice and crisp for hand held (although, heaven knows I'm no expert!) first chance I've had to look at them on a larger screen other than my phone, but I love the colors and brilliance, brings back fond memories, Thanks for sharing!

Andy

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:19 pm

Thanks, Utah!
Andy