The perfect fall foliage photo.

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

autzig

Re: The perfect fall foliage photo.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:30 pm

Andy, the final image does look different because I used the Darken/Lighten Filter, which highlights the trees and darkens the border. I didn't use it on the previous After.

You can change the Hue, Saturation and Luminance in ACR by clicking on the HSL/Grayscale tab which is next to the details tab where you can sharpen or reduce the noise. It gives you much greater flexibility than the RGB available in the Photoshop saturation tab. I increased the saturation for blue and probably dropped the luminance a bit. In ACR, you can change HSL for Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Aqua, Blue, Purple and Magenta. Do your saturation work there and I agree, ignore the saturation slider on the basic page.

Once you've made all of your adjustments in Photoshop, you can always use a saturation layer or VIVEZA to oversaturate your photo! :evil:

Al

Andy

Re: The perfect fall foliage photo.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Thanks, Al. I had forgotten about that tab, because I don't make those adjustments normally in ACR (no sharpening, etc.). What we don't know often causes fear :) . Frankly, any HSL adjustments scare me, so I generally don't use them (I have used ColorEfex, to some degree to make color cast corrections). I really need to learn more about color and how to make those adjustments. I have fortunately, rarely found color cast problems other than in the sky and white water (which is pretty easy to adjust in Viveza), but when I do get an odd color issue, I have trouble fixing it.

LOL on the saturation - though I think even Al has to admit I have toned that back a bit recently. With the Carl Zeiss lenses, I am finding the color is so contrasty and snappy, that it is already saturated looking in many cases. I have also learned from experience that in Viveza, as you reduce brightness, the saturation of that part of the image seems to pop more and that you really have to be careful. Also, in many cases, increasing saturation digitally (i.e. with software), destroys detail, sometimes just creating a blob of color.

When I am as old and wise as Al, I will probably have decreased it even more :mrgreen:
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .