Lewis Pond

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Phil

Lewis Pond

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:09 pm

It may have been here or close that I first read of Lewis Pond 2 years ago. I have been re-visiting Vermont for nearly 40 years, spending most of my time in Central Vermont around Woodstock. But traveling all over the state from Manchester to Burlington to St Johnsbury. It first started with a John Doscher workshop [for any old timers who would remember]

I have to say the lookout above Lewis Pond is one of the most breathtaking views anywhere in the state. Certainly surpassing Mt. Equinox.

So ... are there travel restrictions late at night after sundown in the Nulhegan Refuge that prevent night photography? Any worry about stray Moose :wink: Any suggestions for nearby ponds or mountain tops that may afford and even more sweeping views of the NEK? I have a close associate who grew up in Island Pond and had never heard of Lewis Pond. :shock:

many thanks.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philipleem ... /lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philipleem ... /lightbox/

ixl

Re: Lewis Pond

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:16 am

There aren't any restrictions that I know of -- other than the roads being dark, twisty and confusing. Be careful, bring a map and a GPS and so forth.

I spent the night at the Lewis Pond overlook last year. You can see some photos on my site.

Hope you have fun if you go!
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:12 am

Check with the rangers at http://www.fws.gov/r5soc/come_visit/nul ... enter.html.
There may be restictions now.

Phil

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks for your replies. My general assumption is everywhere is off limits today. So checking with the rangers will usually lead to: must leave by sundown. But ... it's Vermont and the NEK where it's much more free. I don't remember the road being treacherous. But a 4WD is recommended.

The views are incomparable. I am more concerned about possible Moose or Bears if they inhabit these high altitudes.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:21 pm

Phil: I totally agree with you. I did not find the drive in and out treacherous although a high clearance car is a must. A few years ago, the SOV group went in a 3 car caravan and it didn't seem hard to pull over for other cars at all. It was pouring at times and we didn't find it muddy either. Everyone has their own level of drivability and impressions of the views and road trip in I guess.

Anyways, these are views of a lifetime. I can't imagine it getting any better than those at Lewis Pond. I've been a couple of times now and it is at the top of my list for long views. It will render anyone speechless. Charles (ixl) has a post on the forum which has some of the best, if not the best, photos of Lewis Pond you'll ever see.

I hope to return there again someday. It's a must! :wink: