Bucket Lists

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

deaner1971

Bucket Lists

Wed May 30, 2012 7:51 am

OK, after Andy posted the Grand Tetons and as a result of my watching Best Parks Ever (a series on the Travel Channel looking at different National Parks in our wonderous chain of national treasures from a variety of angles) I am intrigued as to what makes everyone's "Best Ever" list and what is still on your bucket lists.

One of the features on the show is to mention a "Do not miss..." for each park so, I thought I would throw out the following format (but feel free to go in whatever direction suits you):

Please, list your top five photography locations/destinations visited and list a "Don't miss" for each. The five could be five National Parks or five spots in one place or a combination of both, whatever suits you.

Then, please list your 3-5 top bucket list destinations. Again, can be ten thousands acres of a National Park or a specific vantage point at a certain time (perhaps coveting someone's moonbow shots, for example...).

I am just curious to see what everyone cherishes and covets and, aside from a couple of our more intrepid members, this could be a break from trying to will Fall to come sooner.

Thanks all!

Dean

Andy

Re: Bucket Lists

Wed May 30, 2012 6:39 pm

O.k., I'll try: (not sure I exactly understand the criteria), but here's my shot:

Top 5 Visited:

Acadia NP - (Don't miss: Cobble Beach view of Otter Point)

Grand Teton NP (Don't miss: - there are 3 here - Scwhabacher Landing, Oxbow Bend and the Moulton Barns on Mormon Row)

Alaska Inside Passage (Don't miss: Train Ride up into the Yukon)

Minnesota Lake Superior North Shore (Don't miss: Split Rock State Park and Lighthouse)

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (Don't miss: Miner's Castle and Miner's Beach; Secondary, the waterfalls)

Bucket List:

Glacier National Park
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Nova Scotia
Bannf
Southern Colorado and the San Juans
Maroon Bells
Yosemite
Palouse Region
Pacific Northwest Seacoast
Big Sur
Provence

(oops, thats more than 3-5 :-) ) My list is long
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed May 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Well, hello there Even Dean. I don't often visit the Photgraphy (ooops, Andy set the bar on that one :wink: ) but I thought I would add my two cents for a bucket list. After all, we need a break from willing the fall season to come sooner. :P Hope you enjoy. Here's my top three.........

1. Autumn in Vermont!
2. Fall Foliage in Vermont!
3. Chasing the peak color in Vermont!

I mean, fall IS around the corner............ :mrgreen:

he he yours truly.......I really do have a bucket list and a grand list of places I have visited but Andy probably wouldn't take me seriously. :roll:

deaner1971

Thu May 31, 2012 7:31 am

My top 5:

1. Southern Vermont in autumn (7A between Bennington and Manchester) - be a tourist and do the drive up Skyline Drive between Arlington and Manchester as part of your use of the old 7A from Bennington to Manchester as you see how much more you could enjoy driving before the freeway came into being)
2. Yosemite - if you have strong water flows, snap the waterfalls and if you have weak water flows, use a call Merced to get gorgeous reflective shots of the classic features of the valley.
3. Volcanoes National Park (Big Island of Hawaii) - use either a wide-angle lens or a series of photos to be stitched together later and get a photo that truly grasps the enormity of the crater.
4. Waipi`o Valley (Big Island of Hawaii) - even if you don't want to risk your rental car with a drive down into the Valley of the Kings, arrive at the parking area on the eastern lip and wait for the sunset. HDR was invented for capturing the blazing sky, the lush greenery of the valley and the dazzling blue and white of the crashing surf.
5. London Eye (London, England) - a 30 minute flight will afford you one of the greatest views of a major city you will ever get. A word of advice: book your flight in advance and aim for a sunset time. To show I am not completely photo-centric, you can book guided and champagne flights, if you are so inclined.

My top 5 bucket list (I can go on and on):

1. Yellowstone National Park
2. Catskills (love the history of its silver and golden ages and want to see the places where the great hotels stood from the Catskill Mountain House to Grossingers)
3. Grand Canyon National Park
4. Africa (not sure where but just give me a long telephoto and the "Big Five" and set me loose)
5. Acadia National Park

autzig

Thu May 31, 2012 11:37 am

Here are the top five favorite places I've visited and would recommend.

1. Arches and Canyonlands National Parks in UT (Actually, these are two separate parks but they are close so I'm counting them as one.) Delicate Arch in Arches and Mesa Arch in Canyonlands.
2. Zion National Park, UT. The view of the Watchman from the bridge.
3. Denali National Park, AK at the end of August. The color of the tundra is spectacular everywhere. Stay at the end of the Denali Road near Wonder lake to get the best photo opportunities.
4 Yosemite National Park, CA. The tunnel view at night.
5. Glacier National Park, MT. The views from Many Glacier Lodge, Sun Point and the Wild Goose Island overlook.
6. Grand Canyon, AZ. Every view is spectacular.
7. Northern Oregon Coast. Ecola State Park, Cannon Beach, Cape Kiwanda.
8. Antelope Canyon, AZ. Any place you can capture a sun beam.
9. Yellowstone National Park, WY in winter. Mammoth Hot Springs Terraces.
10. Great Smoky Mountain National Park, TN. Clingman's Dome for sunrise and sunset
11. Death Valley, CA, Salt Flats at Badwater Basin, Zabriskie Point

Oops, I guess that's more that five, but I just couldn't limit myself. There are so many more.

My Photo Bucket List is pretty short. My wife and I pretty much limit our travels to the U.S and Canada, so as much as I would like to photograph Switzerland, Germany, France and other European countries, that isn't going to happen.

Canadian Rockies - Banff and Lake Louise
Katmai National Park, Alaska - Bears
Iceland
Great Sand Dunes National Monument - Colorado
Amish country - Pennsylvania
Palouse Region - Washington
Shenandoah National Park, Virginia

Al

Andy

Thu May 31, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks, CT, for my laugh of the day. You only gave 3 of five. I have two recommendations for you:

4 - The Northeast Kingdom (of Vermont of Course)

5 - Smuggler's Notch in October (in ..... well .... Vermont)
Andy

Andy

Thu May 31, 2012 12:04 pm

Al: I am surprised you missed a really major photo destination in the U.S.!

The Saginaw Valley, Michigan. Come on East and I'll gladly show you around and maybe even share a cigar with you :-)
Andy

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu May 31, 2012 6:26 pm

Andy! I think I'll take you up on those two VT recommendations! Are you sure the Northeast Kingdom is in Vermont? I have heard of Smuggler's Notch and will try to get there in October. :P Plus, I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Saginaw, Michigan!!!!! It sounds so intriguing! Plus YOU live there so it must be where it's at of course. :lol:

Carol: I don't know where on earth you got the idea that I like Vermont. Strange notion indeed. But you know, Vermont....It's all I need....... (Private joke with Carol). :wink:

Ok, I DO have places that I have traveled to, other than VT, believe it or not, that I would recommend. Some are not in the US.

1. Sleeping under millions of stars at the edge of the Sea of Galilee, Israel.
2. Floating in the Dead Sea, Israel.
3. Climbing up to the top of Mount Masada, Israel.
4. Lake Tahoe, CA
5. Carmel by the Sea, CA
6. Redwood Forest, CA
7. Monterey Peninsula, CA
8. River Walk, San Antonio, Texas
9. Lake Michigan in autumn
10. Amish Country, PA

And, for my bucket list (really):

1. Hawaii, Maui, Kauai - Leaving in less than a year!!!!!!!!!
2. Alaskan cruise
3. Tahiti
4. Northern Itay
5. Basically, anywhere I can find a MOOSE. :|

Andy

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:16 pm

"Vermont, its all I need" - Hmn. I see T-shirts and bumper stickers :mrgreen:
Andy

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:27 pm

When Carol and I are rich and famous because of our VT Tshirts and bumper stickers, we could possibly offer you a cut. HOWEVER, in return, could you help us now with copyright and trademark matters? You know, being the lawyerly guy that you are? I would rather have someone from Saginaw, Michigan to represent us if at all possible... :twisted:

Utah Baker

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:44 am

I had to give this some thought.
Five I have visited
1. Vermont in Oct. & May
2. Neuschwanstein (sp?) Castle Bavaria
3.Tuscany Valley,Italy
4. Oregon coast
5. Ireland

Bucket List
1. Vermont, summer & winter