Development/Growth of a Photographer

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photograps you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, admin

Andy
Site Admin

Re: Development/Growth of a Photographer

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:45 am

deaner1971 wrote:. . . Technology would let you couple a technically perfectly exposed set of rocks with a technically perfectly exposed sky but should you?

I'll play devil's advocate here. Why not? It think your question goes to the heart of what most of us are trying to do here - which is not "reportage" photography, but making images; viz, art. So I would substitute "should" you to "do you want" to?

If "realism" is what you are seeking, then you are absolutely correct that you have to pay attention to the light and it has to be natural (either what was there, or what could be there in nature, given the conditions). Again, we have to be careful not to go the other direction (I said here the other day that because our eyes are so technically good as seeing detail in hard light conditions, we have to be careful not to let that fool us into thinking our camera will capture and display the same thing we "saw"). OTOH, we also have to be careful not to get so "technical" that we don't let our creativity allow us to create an image that either "could be" or that we saw or imagined in our mind's eye.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

deaner1971

Postby deaner1971 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:16 pm

Andy,

Really good point. I was sliding into kind of an absolutist way of thinking.

My subtext there was that I was feeding off a perceived shared predisposition to "realism" I saw in Brant's comment.

As of now, my photographer's "voice" is one more rooted in portraying slightly idealized reality, if that makes sense. And it was from that perspective that I was speaking. I can appreciate others' work that is different from this but, in what I am currently seeking to create, that is the particular edge I wish to hone.

You made a really useful point because my words did not reflect a careless use but actually did reflect a bias that I have but which I shouldn't allow to be my sole perspective.

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:51 pm

Dean: I "got" that. I thought you were using "should" in that way. I kind of took advantage of the generalized meaning to make my own point (as any good lawyer advocate would :mrgreen: ).

For what its worth, I agree with you. My own view seems to tend toward, as you put it so well, "idealized reality."

Good discussion. I am internalizing this stuff here and maybe some of it sinks into the subconscious and comes out through images to come.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

abby

Postby abby » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:27 pm

I'm late to the party here.....but wanted to come back and answer Andy's questions re my lighthouse image.
I used Nik Viveza to open up the shadows, and I was shooting at ISO 200.
Carol

Return to “Vermont Photography Forum”