Canvas prints?

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

2doggiemom

Re: Canvas prints?

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Check out mpix.com. They offer "gallery wraps" I've never ordered those from them but love my photos on metallic paper. Excellent printing and fast turnaround time. My home is full of 8x12 & 11x14 pics they have printed. I also order 4x6 prints and put them on card stock to make my own greeting cards.

deaner1971

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:14 am

I second the view of MPix. I have a large photo I took of Yosemite valley framed over my fireplace that they had printed and I am very happy with it.

I have not yet availed myself of theie canvas product but they are pretty focused on quality and protecting their reputation so I have to think you'll get a good product.

Having said all of that, Costco now offers gallery wraps. I would think MPix will give you more options for submission and likely higher quality but, as this is your first foray into canvass, I thought I would also throw out what is probably a lower cost option as well.

For example, a 16 x 20 at MPix is $90 and at Costco is $45.

But again, from a quality stand point, MPix shows you how they finish the backs and everything else and you can see they are well done, I don't know about the finishing at Costco. And obviously, if you aren't a Costco member...

If the weather gods will just be kind to me this week, I will be happy to test both if I can just get some worthy photos!

Andy

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:19 pm

You may also want to check with some local options. A couple years back, I had a local printer/studio print 2 24 x 36 images (both drum scanned from original 35mm slides) - he did his own scan and custom print. $80/print. Very professionally done. I was very surprised at how competitive his pricing was.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

autzig

Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:16 am

How large do you want your canvas? If you want something really large, most places can't handle the order but Photogonia can. I had one of my photos enlarged to 4'x5' and printed on canvas. It turned out really well. I uploaded the photo to an FTP site, and it was delivered back to me in about 10 days. (The final print was shipped from Israel, interestingly.) I was very pleased with the result. Their website is: http://www.photogonia.com/

Al

autzig

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:05 pm

mmvt wrote:Thanks for the website/information. I don't want anything that big but I'll check it out! I also found 2 local places that offer this service. I saw a few canvas prints at a shop in VT and really liked how they looked but I think i'll have to carefully choose what type of photo would look best.
I knew that the photo I made into a 4'x5' would lose a lot of detail, so, using Photoshop techniques, I made it look like a painting and had it printed on canvas. Up close it looks like a painting. From a distance, it looks like a photograph. It is really nice and I get a lot of nice comments about it.

If you are afraid of losing detail in your photo because of the enlargement, consider turning it into a painting.

Al

annetteorourke

Sat May 16, 2015 1:45 am

I suggest you checkout the photos on canvas at the paint your life studio as the professionals there do a wonderful job with the canvas prints and will help you understand how it is done.