November Frost

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photograps you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, admin

abby

November Frost

Postby abby » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:26 pm

It was a frosty morning up in Barton today. Here's a few shots I'd like to share with you. Please give critiques.......it's awfully quiet around here. :-) This first shot has some composition problems, but I like how the frost looks.

Backlit from across May Pond, Barton
Backlit, closeup

The landscape is pretty "grey" up there this time of year, so the fost was a nice bonus this morning.
Carol

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:12 pm

Hey Carol, the May Pond shot is really nice. The light (not surprisingly) is what it is all about.

I would consider cropping out most of the water in the foreground. I think the "real" photo is those frost covered trees and the sun lighting them. Maybe just enough of the water to "hint" that is is a shot across the pond?
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

abby

Postby abby » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:00 pm

Wonderful suggestion Andy. I agree about the light....the very strong backlighting is what drew me to shoot this across the pond to begin with. How's this? Enough of a crop in your opinion?
Carol

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:39 am

I would probably crop it even more
Andy

abby

Postby abby » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:50 pm

Andy wrote:I would probably crop it even more

How's about this?
Carol

abby

Postby abby » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:12 am

Okay.......I'm thinking I like the second version the best.

autzig

Postby autzig » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:54 pm

I like the first crop best. I agree with Andy's comment that there was too much pond. I like the first crop because that water looks like it could be ice and that goes perfectly with the frost on the trees.

One other thought. If the subject of the photo is the frost, nobody should have to guess at that. The first photo with the horses isn't about the frost. The other photo may have been about the frost, but there was nothing special about the light and their was nothing to focus on. The lighting at May Pond is terrific and that's what makes the shot, in my humble opinion.

We received 10 inches of snow at my house in Minneapolis on Saturday. I would have liked to get my camera out as the snow was heavy and wet and trees were leaning over. The roads were so bad that I didn't even consider it.

abby

Postby abby » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:00 pm

autzig wrote:I like the first crop best. I agree with Andy's comment that there was too much pond. I like the first crop because that water looks like it could be ice and that goes perfectly with the frost on the trees.

One other thought. If the subject of the photo is the frost, nobody should have to guess at that. The first photo with the horses isn't about the frost. The other photo may have been about the frost, but there was nothing special about the light and their was nothing to focus on. The lighting at May Pond is terrific and that's what makes the shot, in my humble opinion.

We received 10 inches of snow at my house in Minneapolis on Saturday. I would have liked to get my camera out as the snow was heavy and wet and trees were leaning over. The roads were so bad that I didn't even consider it.

Hi there Al! Thanks for chiming in. I agree with you.....don't know if I was clear with my last statement when I said I like the second version best.........I was meaning the first crop as you described it. As Goldilocks once said "this is just right"! In my opinon anyways.
Sorry the rods were too bad to get out in the snow..........I know you are going to have a lot more opportunites to get out there this winter. :wink:
Stay warm!!!!!!
Carol

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Well -- contrarian that I am, I will go half way with you -- I like the first crop better than the second. I would have cropped about 1/2 way between the first and second crop. I want enough water to show that it is water, but as a foreground element, I want it to compliment the subject but not try t "be" the subject. Its really a matter of proportion and it is also at the point where we are "picking at gnats." You have very good photographic "vision" and it may well be that your crop is just better, photographically than mine. I am just going by my "gut."
Andy

abby

Postby abby » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks for your opinion Andy, as always. This is one of those shots that a subtle difference can make a big impact, and it's just a matter of personal preference I guess.......which I suppose is that way with most of our photos now that I think of it. I like your saying that "you're going with your gut" because those gut decisions are the ones that are usually right for ourselves. I just may enter this shot (one of the versions anyways) into a camera club competition sometime this year. I'll let you know how it does.
Thanks for all the input and helping me to look at this shot differently.
Carol

abby

Postby abby » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Thanks for your opinion Andy, as always. This is one of those shots that a subtle difference can make a big impact, and it's just a matter of personal preference I guess.......which I suppose is that way with most of our photos now that I think of it. I like your saying that "you're going with your gut" because those gut decisions are the ones that are usually right for ourselves. I just may enter this shot (one of the versions anyways) into a camera club competition sometime this year. I'll let you know how it does.
Thanks for all the input and helping me to look at this shot differently.
Carol

Return to “Vermont Photography Forum”