"Stayin' Alive"

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Andy

"Stayin' Alive"

Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:26 am

No, I assure you, I am not in a Bee Gees funk :lol:

I am getting into my cheerleader mode (just think Will Ferrell on SNL). I joined here in 2005. We have all thanked Tim and extolled the virtues of this site and his generousity on the Foliage Forum. Some of us have lamented its "hibernation" from Nov - August.

Late in 2005 or early 2006 (can't exactly remember), I approached Tim with the idea of this Vermont Photography Forum. I have been involved with photographers' forums since the early AOL days. Some are very good and educational, some are kind of places to go bitch, complain and flame "outsiders." The one I remember best was the old original Pro Board on the AOL forums. A large group of us became "buddies" there and some of us maintain "backchannel" e-mail relationships to this day. I met and have remained friends with a couple pro photographers and many others there. Sadly, it eventually died (partly AOL's fault, partly just natural attrition)

Anyway, I digress :shock: :lol: . My vision here was to maybe generate some similar "chemistry" among the photographers who are regulars here, and maybe some who lurk and some who might be attracted to us. In order for that to work, we need to keep the lights on during the off months.

Some thoughts:

Vermont Photography does not have to be about fall foliage

Vermont Photography does not have to be strictly about Vermont

Vermont Photography does not have to have "photography" as its "main" subject

Everyone who had any inkling of interest in photography is welcome here

I was pretty happy to have Brandtb join us here recently and put some philosophy out there. I hope we can have more of that and we can have an ongoing, robust dialog here. When its going, this is the first place I check when I log in. Let keep it going!!

For starters, how is everyone handling the foliage "hangover"? I have spent long hours at work "paying" for my 10 days in Vermont (and would do it again in a heartbeat). I have also spent long hours post-processing. It will soon be time to think about Turkeys and presents and lights. I can hopefully keep the creative fires stoked and turn my photography to some other subjects fitting of the season.

What kind of photographic and/or travel plans do you all have?
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

BostonRott

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:30 am

I've already been wondering where there are fields of wildflowers in the Spring/early summer and thought about posting inquiries! :)
Gretchen

Utah Baker

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:05 am

Don't know if you want to come as far as Utah, but for wild flowers there is nothing more incredible than Albion Basin up Little Cottonwood Canyon (just above the Snowbird and Alta ski resorts) the last week of July and first week of Aug.

Andy

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:25 am

Gretchen: I know there are some spots in NE and in VT for wildflowers. Let me do some "research" with some of the folks I know in Vermont and see what kind of information I can get on that.

Things get busy this time of year. Remind me if you don't hear back :)
Andy

BostonRott

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:35 pm

@Utah: I would LOVE to head west some day.....for now, small children and school schedules dictate otherwise. It's on my "in the future" list though! :)

@Andy: Wonderful, thank you!!! PS. I'm still working through my Vermont photos. Came home to a computer who didn't want to play nice and ended up swapping out a hard drive, putting on all new OS (and trying to learn Win7 from XP), and re-loading all software. I *think* I've got the bugs worked out now, will post things soon! :)
Gretchen

Andy

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Looking forward to seeing them, Gretchen.

One advantage of Win 7 is you can now take advantage of CS5's 64 bit operating system
Andy

BostonRott

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:58 pm

Yeah but.................my processor is only a Pentium D (4yrs old). :? It'll handle 64bit, but not proficiently I'm sure. This is a stop-gap measure, I'd hoped to upgrade the whole computer in a year (to a lovely 6 core processor and LOTS of RAM!). :D
Gretchen

deaner1971

Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:50 am

In addition to amazing foliage, Vermont also has some splendid waterfalls and hikes. I know other sites exist that are dedicated to both but discussions of those (and their multi-season attributes) might help to pass the time.

brandtb

32/64 bit note

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:18 am

A note about 32/64 bit processors. To run a 64-bit version of Windows 7 (there are 32 or 64 bit options, your computer must have a 64-bit-capable processor - although PS CS5 will run well on both 32 or 64 bit processors.

"The benefits of using a 64-bit operating system are most apparent when you have a large amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer, typically 4 GB of RAM or more. In such cases, because a 64-bit operating system can handle large amounts of memory more efficiently than a 32-bit operating system, a 64-bit system can be more responsive when running several programs at the same time and switching between them frequently." MS/Windows