Anyone a VT railroad buff?

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Rockwall Tim

Anyone a VT railroad buff?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:23 pm

I plan to drive Route 5 from White River Junction to St. Johnsbury one weekday afternoon. Anyone know how busy that parallel railroad is along Hwy 5? I'd love to get some shots with a train in the picture.
II Cor. 4:17

Rockwall Tim

Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks, Carol!
II Cor. 4:17

From_the_NEK

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:03 pm

There are some special foliage trains that run this time of year that typically have a more specific schedule. There is one that usually starts at the St Johnsbury Welcome Center and heads south toward Barnet. I haven't hear if it is running this year.
Here is a link to check out for some other train info:
http://www.rails-vt.com/excur_main_09.html

Sometimes during weekdays you can catch the White River to Newport freight train in the rail yard on the south end of St J. It doesn't travel real fast so you can leap frog it to get shots along its journey. There are a lot of good spots to see the train south of St J while it goes to Barnet.
Here's a few pics I took a couple years ago of the freight train headed south from St J.

There are also a few spots north between West Burke and Barton. I'm sure there are a lot of good spots south of Barnet too in the CT River valley.