Anyone a VT railroad buff?

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photograps you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, admin

Rockwall Tim

Anyone a VT railroad buff?

Postby Rockwall Tim » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:23 pm

I plan to drive Route 5 from White River Junction to St. Johnsbury one weekday afternoon. Anyone know how busy that parallel railroad is along Hwy 5? I'd love to get some shots with a train in the picture.
II Cor. 4:17

abby

Postby abby » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:19 pm

Hi Tim,
It's funny you should mention this, because I was talking to my husband about the train this weekend. We hiked a trail that took us up above Crystal Lake. I was going to try to find out what time the train goes through Barton. It parallells Crystal Lake and from the vantage point of that lookout above the lake, I am envisioning reflections of the train as it travels past the lake. Would be very photogenic!
I found a phone number and will try to see if I can get any info tomorrow.
Carol

Rockwall Tim

Postby Rockwall Tim » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks, Carol!
II Cor. 4:17

abby

Postby abby » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:11 pm

I just got off the phone with them. Couldn't get any definite answers. What I did find out is this: They report to work in Newport VT at 8 am. There is no exact time that the train leaves there. It all depends on how much freight they have and how many cars they will be running. It leaves anytime between 8:15 am and 10:00 am. I asked approximately how long the trip is to say, the Barton area. I was told that they can not give me any specific time frames due to security reasons.
The train does not run on the weekends.
They work a 12 hour day. The train makes a return trip to Newport each day, but again, there is no specific time. It varies every day.

I know in the past, I have personally seen the train going through Barton heading south around 10:30-11:00 am. I also have seen it heading North in the late afternoon, say around 4 or 5 pm.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :?
Carol

From_the_NEK

Postby From_the_NEK » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:03 pm

There are some special foliage trains that run this time of year that typically have a more specific schedule. There is one that usually starts at the St Johnsbury Welcome Center and heads south toward Barnet. I haven't hear if it is running this year.
Here is a link to check out for some other train info:
http://www.rails-vt.com/excur_main_09.html

Sometimes during weekdays you can catch the White River to Newport freight train in the rail yard on the south end of St J. It doesn't travel real fast so you can leap frog it to get shots along its journey. There are a lot of good spots to see the train south of St J while it goes to Barnet.
Here's a few pics I took a couple years ago of the freight train headed south from St J.

There are also a few spots north between West Burke and Barton. I'm sure there are a lot of good spots south of Barnet too in the CT River valley.

abby

Postby abby » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks for the info NEK!! Your photos are really beautiful. In some of the shots, it almost looks like a toy train! I really like the reflections. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Carol

Return to “Vermont Photography Forum”