Sun Angle & Golden Hour Calculators

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

brandtb

Sun Angle & Golden Hour Calculators

Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:55 pm

In the film and video world in which I work in part, the Helios sun angle calculator has long been indispensable for shooting outdoors...has a great interface and works on Iphone. I don't use an Iphone - so not much help for me.

I ran across another really wonderful sun angle calc. several months ago called the The Photographer's Ephemeris - I actually like the interface a little better because I like using terrain maps etc. It is available at no charge, or donation if you would like at http://stephentrainor.com/tools (works on Iphone which I still don't have)

Today looking at Steve's Digicams site there was a feature on a really wonderful website featuring a "Golden Hour Calculator" by Roger Moffatt. Excellent software, so-so interface for me - available at http://www.golden-hour.com/
(works on Iphone which I will probably never have).

autzig

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:40 pm

WOW!

I looked at both of these calculators and viewed the videos for Photo Ephemeris. I've relied on sunrise and sunset calculators and I've used Google earth to figure out when the sun would light up the lower falls at Yellowstone but I have never seen anything like Photo Ephemeris. Thanks, Brandt, for putting me on to it. I just downloaded it and can't wait to play around with it.

Al

Andy

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:03 pm

Me too. Wow! Incredible Tool. I am already looking at my Vermont Locations. I don't know if my feeble mind can appreciate azimuths and such, but that feature that shows sunrise/set and moonrise is amazing. Should be a great planning tool for being in the right place!

Thanks Brandt.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:34 pm

Last week, we had a discussion about whether the Covered Bridge in W. Arlington was a morning or afternoon shot. Here's an example of looking it up in the program Brandt put us onto. It really a dynamite app:Image
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .