Processing and Archiving Your Digital Photos

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photograps you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, admin

BostonRott

Postby BostonRott » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:44 am

Definitely Lightroom! Especially now that LR3 is out. The new noise reduction is supposed to be amazing, and the sharpening is quite good too. The adjustment brush feature gives you a lot of flexibility in making localized adjustments to your photos, easily.

One big change from Elements (or PS) is that you don't save your photos. LR is not doing a single thing to your file. Instead, it is keeping a separate file of "do this, then this" for the photo. When you are ready to use the photo somewhere, you Export it, and chose what file type you want it saved as. Only then will the changes actually be applied, though the original still remains untouched, in your catalog.

If you use Smugmug or Flickr, there are really neat plug-ins (for donation of your choice) made by a man named Jeff Friedl. Once you have your ajustments, you simply Export to <Smugmug/Flickr/Facebook/other> and it will log in to your account, upload the size of photo that you chose and then finish. JPG copies of your photos are put online, but no clutter is left on your computer. If you want to have duplicate JPG / Raw files around, you certainly can.....but with these plugins, you don't have to.

I also found an older one (not by JF) that is for Pbase. If anyone would like it, email me: bostonrott at verizon dot net.
Gretchen

brandtb

deaner/LR3

Postby brandtb » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:26 am

I don't you can substitute anything for LR3 at this point. It is one of the most powerful and useful tool for photographers - period. I consider the price tag as infintessimally small ($280 at B&H)considering what it does. I would suggest before you buy it, spend a small $25 one month subscription to Lynda.com and watch all the tutorials on LR (or any other software for that matter) - then you'll know excactly what you are getting. I use PS5 (and I don't think any version compares to this either) - for rather advance "layer compositing" and cloning/replacing elements within an image. If you don't do a lot of this, PS is not going to help you much. Also, the export file tools as Boston mentioned - e.g. to the web - are so simple and brilliant...nothing is as good.
It's database capabilities are extrordinary - it makes cataloging and organizing a breeze.

BostonRott

Postby BostonRott » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:32 am

I found that in the past few years, LR goes on significant sale at Amazon around Thanksgiving. If you can hold off 3 or so more weeks, keep an eye on them. I was able to get my full copy of LR2 for $160 (regularly $300). It's usually a one-day sale, so start the habit now of checking for it. :)
Gretchen

brandtb

Forgot This

Postby brandtb » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:37 am

I do not under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use PS (any version)for any color work on photographs...NONE...nada...non...nyet.. The color tools in LR3 and ACR6 are so much more precise...you cannot compare the two.

deaner1971

Postby deaner1971 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Thank you all for the input (especially since it completely affirms what I was thinking ;)) and for the advice in the Amazon sale.

Looks like there will be another LR user here before too long.

So the saving of the changes, rather than saving a changed picture, is what is meant by "non-destructive" changes then? That is brilliant. No more eating up tons of drive space with a variety of versions of the same photo at different way-points in then edit process.

Feeling really good about this decision. Thank you all again.

BostonRott

Postby BostonRott » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Yep, that's it! :) If you are good about key wording the photos, you can then also make collections really quickly. Each year I shoot 8-10,000 photos. When I import, I put a quick note in the key wording as to what something is.....or if the kids/dogs are in it, I stick their names in it.

I can now have LR look through at catalog of several 10,000 photos, and instantly pull out my dau, my son, both, a particular dog, a location, etc. It's an incredibly powerful program!!

You can also find lots of free tutorials on Youtube, if you just search on Lightroom <what to do> :)
Gretchen

deaner1971

Re: PROCESSING AND ARCHIVING YOUR DIGITAL PHOTOS

Postby deaner1971 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:25 am

LR3 is on sale on Amazon for $149.99!!! Just got the note today and picked up my copy.

Act quick if you have been on the fence!

Return to “Vermont Photography Forum”