Too early to start discussing the coming season?

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

deaner1971

Too early to start discussing the coming season?

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:46 am

I hope this isn't too early to start discussing plans for the coming season.

After years of going up solo, I am bringing my wife with me to give her some in-person experience with my beloved Vermont. We are only coming up for a short time (first time leaving the munchkin with somenoe other that each other means neither of us want to be gone too long) so I get only about a half day to show her some of southern Vermont outside of Manchester.

We will be up in the first week of October so I am hoping for some decent foliage and have planned the following road trip, comments appreciated:

Leave the Equinox and head for Stratton. Take the gondola to the top and shoot some photos and enjoy the view.

Stop at the Jamaica Coffee House for a mid day cup of coffee (to go), then on to Ball Mountain Lake Dam for the views from the dam. We conclude the outbound portion with drive south on 100 to Mount Olga for a short hike/walk to the fire tower for some more views of the gorgeous landscape.

Then we return to Manchester via the Molly Stark trail and 7A, possibly taking a short side trip to West Arlington if the daylight still permits.

I know this won't be the ideal photographic journey but I wanted to give a half day tour of the landscape with easy access to views that are good for both the eye and the lense.

Andy

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:45 am

Hi Deaner: To some of us who can never stop thinking about foliage, photography, and Vermont, its is never too early to start :)

I am not as familiar with the Southern part of the state as I am central and Northern. In 2006, however, I did get down to West Arlington. The bridge down there is one of the class "Arnold Kaplan Scenics." It crosses the Battenkill from the main road and right at the intersection, across from the bridge, there is a high rock ledge that you can scramble up and shot the bridge, with the Grange Hall behind it (it has a tower/steeple like a church or town hall). Very nice composition.

UNFORTUNATELY, I was there (as it looks like you will be) in the late afternoon. It is really a MORNING shot, as it will be backlit if there is sun, and the shadows are pretty harsh. I will be in Southern Vermont for 3 days in October and depending on my schedule, I might try to get over there for an early morning shot one day.

I am sure Charles (IXL) will be a better authority on all the areas you mention.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:53 am

The first week of October might be early for the valleys. but it should be great in the highlands along route 100. I drove route 100 from Wilmington to Pittsford on Saturday and there were hints of color showing on the stressed out trees. This is normal.

deaner1971

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:00 am

I love that bridge. I do have to confess though that I never have climbed the rock ledge but have seen a lot of photos from that angle and it really allows you to get around some of the undergrowth and the bridge supports that otherwise detract from the photo.

That time of year, you have a pretty good chance of getting a dew or frost on the limbs of the trees that can make for some interesting shots early morning.

My favorite fly fishing spot is not too far from there so I love shooting the bridge and environs until light no longer works and then it is time to throw on the waders.

ixl

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:59 am

Hi Deaner,

Sounds like a pretty good plan. You may need to adjust based on how the season turns out of course, but for this far out that's an ambitious but doable schedule. :)

Best regards,

Charles
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

deaner1971

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:06 am

Abby, thanks and good to be back. As I love photography and I love Vermont, I should spend more time here. I have to confess to being a bit intimidated by the photographic talent and depth of knowledge on display here.

If you are in the area, I would also recommend Scott Bridge near Jamaica as an also excellent morning shot. You can shoot the West River from within the bridge or climb down to the large stone slabs near the water for shots of the bridge from below. Afterwards, you can stop at Jamaica Coffee House on your way and get a good cup of coffee from some really nice folks.

If you do end up doing the Arlington shoot, I would recommend a jaunt back to Manchester afterwards for breakfast at Up For Breakfast which is absolutely great.

Sorry if all of that was pre-possessed knowledge.

Charles, thanks to you too. I think it is a bit aggressive but I hope that I get a little cooperation weatherwise and glad that is sounds to you that it works as a short tour. In order to hedge my bets, on the way in from Albany I am going to do the two touristy stops that I think I'll have to include which are stops at the Bennington Battlefield Monument and the drive up Skyline Drive.

Thanks again all!

ixl

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:26 am

Sounds good... be sure to leave enough time up on Equinox for the 1 mile round trip walk to the viewpoint. Best in the afternoon.

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

deaner1971

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks for mentioning that. I have been up there before and never have gone to Lookout Rock. It is truly worth the walk then? Also, would you mind if I asked when in the afternoon you would recommend? We get in at 1 (at Albany) but I could always make Skyline Drive a post-"check-in at the hotel" versus a pre-"check-in at the hotel" stop if later afternoon is better.

Thanks again!

ixl

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:46 am

I think it's worth it. You get a nice wide view of the Valley of Vermont and Manchester with the Greens behind it, and the walk is short on a well-used trail through pretty forest.

You're looking east, so as long as it's not early am you should be fine; the light is better photographically later in the day (though they only let you go up until maybe 4:30 or something).

deaner1971

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks again.

I noticed that their website's notice of when they close the drive down seems to conflict with a photo they show on their site with a couple sitting well into the sunset.

As long as I can get up there after 4, I am hoping for pretty good light.

Thank you gain for the great insights.

Dean

ixl

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Interesting.. they never even used to claim to stay open until sunset. At least I don't think they did.. that's new.

Not sure if they let people stay up there until sunset and then drive down, or if you have to be off the road by sunset. Could call and ask.

Bear in mind that if you get there too late, the shadows creep across the valley floor...

There's a view from the outlook on their site.

Andy

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:40 am

Deaner: I didn't see your comment about feeling intimidated when I read your post the first time, but after Carol's post, I went back and looked.

I joined here about the same time Carol did. The "marqee" foliage forum is not a photography forum but it seemed to me as I participated, that there were a fair number of us "serious" photographers who frequented it. I spent summers on a Vermont Dairy Farm from 1969 - 1976 and attended college in Vermont Technical College in Randolph Center and a year at the University of Vermont, before moving back to Michigan, so it "feels" like home to me. Even so, "life" created a long hiatus between visits to Vermont, and I hadn't been there in many years by 2005, when I planned my first "dedicated" photo trip to Vermont. Trying to find resources for foliage conditions and places, led me here and I have never found any place quite like it. Other places (e.g., Maine) have forums, but not have developed the sense of "community" that this one has. And every Fall about this time, "old friends" come back.

During my second year as a participant, I asked Tim to create a Vermont Photography Forum, which he agreed to do, IF I would agree to moderate. While I was at first reticent, it turns out, there is no real work involved to that.

Vision for this forum was -- and still is, to develop a robust discussion about photography. While this is a Vermont Foliage parent site, as you can see, our discussion is not necessarily so limited. I have been slightly disappointed that it has not caught on more -- but am also realistic enough to know that it is not going to compete with the heavyweight photographer forums.

YES, we do have some talent here. But we also have a shared passion. Some here are teachers, as well. If you go to Al Utzig's Website, you will learn from his bio that he is a photographer and teacher. And a good one. I learn something from Al every time we discuss photography. I have also had the pleasure of watching Carol move from a point and shoot camera user with a very good eye for composition, to a serious and talented photographer herself. Along the way, I may have given her a tip or two -- and learned a thing or two.

I have been involved with photography as a serious hobby since 1976. While I have had some success with images, I still have lots to learn myself. I try to share what I have learned and you can see some of that on my own Blog Tutorials. We also have a couple full time pros here. We are all glad to share, teach, and learn!! Please jump in with both feet. It is a good, friendly place to do it.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Rockwall Tim

Our Plans

Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:21 pm

My wife and I will spend Oct. 8-11 in Vermont, using St. Johnsbury as our home away from home. Last year, we were blown away by the beauty of the Peacham area, so this year we plan to concentrate on the backroads that weave around Peacham. Hope the foliage cooperates.

As I type this, Hurricane Earl is making waves...and could skirt the NE coast. I certainly don't want any leaves ripped outta trees!
II Cor. 4:17

deaner1971

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:36 am

Abby and Andy,

Thanks very much for your reassuring comments and the thoughts behind them.

Getting excited to head up at the end of the month. A bit nervous as this is my second year running playing tour guide (last years friends, this year wife) and last year the weather kind of betrayed me (nothing like a snow storm in October during the drive up to make your friend's question your smarts). But Vermont being as great as it is, my friends all left as fans so all was fine in the end.

Now if we can just get a bit of rain between now and then to keep those gorgeous leaves on the trees.