First snow photos of the season

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

autzig

Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:43 pm

We have a winter storm watch for tomorrow here in Minnesota. To date we haven't had any meaningful snow. That could change tomorrow. Of course I won't be here for it. I'm on my way to Tennessee and South Carolina. Hopefully we'll get some nice snow and it will stay. With high temperatures in the teens and lows near zero it should.

I like all of the church photos but I think I like the second photo best. I like the low angle of view. I might have preferred it if you would have moved a little more to the left and got more of the church between the pole of the gazebo but I do like it the way it is. Because of the square format, you must have already cropped it.

I like the second reflection photo better. I can't say why, exactly, but I do.

Thanks for sharing.

Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:54 am

Hi Carol: I like the first shot of the town green with the church and gazebo. This is an iconic New England winter scene and as you know, I wrote the SOV blog on town greens awhile back and this blissful setting is one of the reasons I love New England so much.

I should say that this shot stands out as I look at it from a purely enjoyable viewpoint. I must say it is beautiful. I think it could even appear on a postcard that I have seen in many Vermont stores. Can you picture yourself walking across the crunchy snow and sitting in the gazebo watching the flakes come down?

Do know that some of us see your shots from a different perspective - pure enjoyment! Obviously, I'm not in any position to critique! :wink:

P.S. They had forecast 3-6 and all we had was spitting snow and a sprinkling on the ground. So the green grass is still very visible. A mess of a storm is on the way for tonight and tomorrow so you will have more snow photo sessions to look forward to! I look forward to more of your lovely New England scenics!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

faxmachineanthem

Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Nice Carol! I like the first one the best as well.

We had an early snow in NJ also. Probably the same storm. My wife and I took advantage of it to get our Christmas card shot of our daughter. Kids provide quite a challenge.... photographically and otherwise! :D But I was really happy with the way they came out.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Hey Fax: These photos show the true definition of PRECIOUS!!!! Your daughter is adorable! Thanks for posting!

We had quite a nasty mess here today. Heavy, beautiful snow in the a.m. and pure, disgusting slush to follow. All will freeze now. :shock:

We are now having a thunderstorm with hail!

Gotta love the northeast! :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

faxmachineanthem

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:15 am

Thanks ct!

In a related topic, David Middleton blogged today about what makes a good winter photo. He suggests that the early winter is the best time. So I'd better get up to Vermont soon!

http://www.davidmiddletonphoto.com/blog ... otography/

Andy

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:34 am

Well, Carol, critique is easy -- we all get to sit on the sidelines after you went out and braved the cold and wet, and tell what what we would have done, all of course with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. So here I go . . . . . :lol:

I, too, like the first one. But I do agree with Al. I would like to see a little more separation between the church and gazebo, if that is possible. You might have to use your ambulatory zoom lens for that :). It might also benefit if, by moving to the right a bit it would allow you to exclude some of the empty space on the right of the photograph. I assume you are close to home, here? One benefit to that might be to go back and see what other possibilities there are. I cannot tell you how many times over the years, I have come home, reviewed my shots, and realized the one(s) I MISSED! In this case, you might even go back and take a series of shots for composition placement, no matter what the weather, and find the best one, then wait for the right day, and go back and get the shot with all the conditions right. I have done that -- but rarely do I find a photo op close to home that motivates me that much. :( .

A couple of the others remind me of another important point. When we start using wider lenses, perspective distortion starts to show up. The lens, no matter how good, has trouble rendering straight lines. You can correct for this to an exent with camera angle and height. But there are physical limits. I always notice it when there is a roof line and a steeple, tower, etc. I have struggled with it on my lighthouse shots. Sometimes, you just have to make a choice whether it is more important for the horizontal or the vertical to be "true" and let the other part just "fall" as it does.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:42 pm

Of course I recognize that I have not been to the scene and moving your shooting point might actually introduce more probems than solutions. The only point was I would like to see more separation. Only you will know if that's possible.

Any possibilities of a Pano with both churches?

Also, looks like you might be able to "tease" a little more drama out of the skies?
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .