Details, Details, Details!!

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Andy

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:47 pm

FAX: Sounds like a great trip, in spite of the Rental Car Costs. Rental cars are a costly thing everywhere! I go on a week long golf trip every year to NC. Of the major costs, Greens fees, lodging airfair and a rental car from RDU to our destination and then back and forth to the courses, the Rental Car is the biggest "relative" cost.

Yes, I shot with 35mm film camera for years, starting in 1976 with a fully manual (no in-camera meter, no automatic lens stopdown), until my first digital body in 2002. I still have the lenses I used back then (a Nikkor 60mm macro, a 300mm f2.8, as 28mm and a 28-200 zoom). I recently acquired a 19-35 zoom to "experiment" with. It is one of the Third Party cheap lenses, but if I like the look of the photos and the utility of the zoom range, I'll consider buying one of the Nikkor "pro" constant 2.8 copies. I used the 28-200 a lot until I bought my D200. With the D200, I bought the 18-200 DX and it became my "bread and butter" lens. I rarely removed it from the body. It will be interesting to see if I miss the 200-300 end of the range (dx equivalent). I may be re-thinking the lens lineup here in the next months.

I am really looking forward to giving the new body a workout.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

autzig

Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:40 pm

Hey fax. I used to live in Oregon and I know the photo locations all over. Let me know what you are wanting to photograph and I should be able to help.

My favorite places along the coast are Cape Kiwanda, Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park on the north end of Cannon Beach. Cannon Beach has a Haystack Rock and the "Needles". Heceta Head Lighthouse is another great photo location.

Stop at Mo's and eat the Chowder. There's one at Tolovana, south of Cannon Beach and I think there's a location in Newport. You also have to stop at the Tilamook Cheese factory. No respectable tourist drives past.

When you go to the Columbia River Gorge, make sure you drive the Old Columbia River Highway. It starts at Troutdale, but go on to Corbet, go up the hill and get on the highway there. Stop at the Portland Women's Forum State Park late in the day. The setting sun lights up the cliff at Crown Point. Great photo location. There are lots of waterfalls along the Gorge.

If the weather is good, take the drive to Larch Mountain. Its about a 20 mile drive up there from the Highway. There is a lookout at the top where you get a great view of Mt Hood, Mt Adams, Mt Ranier, Mt Jefferson and Mt St Helens.

In early June you are likely to see a lot of rain but that increases the chances of rainbows. From April through June, I think you can see a rainbow every day.

If you want more info, let me know