Its That Time Again!

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photograps you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, admin

Andy
Site Admin

Its That Time Again!

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:24 pm

Fall Foliage Photography time is here. I am reading over on the Foliage Forum that there are even some high elevations and parts of the NEK that are already at or near peak!

This is without at doubt my favorite time of the year. In fact I blogged about it this month on my LightCentric Photography Blog.

Sadly, I will not make it to Vermont this year -- though it sounds like a pretty good year! I plan to be in Maine later this month, though. I hope some of you will become re-invigorated about this forum and post some of your successes, newfound spots and general thoughts about photography here!

Good luck with the fall season.
Last edited by Andy on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Photosbyzen

Postby Photosbyzen » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:56 pm

Hi Andy,
I am new but have quickly become one of the silent fans of yours. I've been sitting with a cup of tea, looking thru all the threads taking in the wonder that is Vermont thru every one's eyes. Thank you.
I will be heading up to Stowe in 12 days for a week. I know last year I took some crazy amount of shots while there. I don't see this year being any different.

Semper Fi
Kevin Mac

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Kevin: Glad you spoke up! Hope you'll share your Stowe experience and some of your photos with us. I am concerned that 12 days from now, a lot of the color may be gone from Stowe. But it is a good starting point for trips to other spots where there still may be good color. Peacham is a pretty easy day drive from there, for example. Good luck and welcome to the forum. And thank you for our service to our country!!
Andy

abby

Postby abby » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:26 pm

My time in Vermont was limited this year, but I did find a couple of new finds to share.
The first is Regan Rd in Montgomery which is located off Rte 58 (Hazen's Notch Rd). Shortly after you turn up the road, there is a field on your right which has views of Montgomery below. It wasn't peak yet when I was there and the colors were so-so. I wish there wasn't so much foliage that obstructs the view of the church, but you can see the steeple which is the most imortant part. :wink:

Another new place I checked out is Wheeler Mountain Rd in Barton. There is a small pond which has some potential:

The morning fog was just lifting when we got there and the sun poked through while we were there. I think this place has potential for some beautiful late day reflections. I could only shoot over to the left hand side of the pond because of the direction of the sun. The sun would be behind you late day and this is somplace I want to go back to next year and explore further.

Further up the road, we stopped for a gorgeous view. The fog was hanging just at the top of the mountain and there was a sliver of sun lighting up the middle of the hill (I believe this is the side of one of the mountains that flank Lake Willoughby):

We turned around and didn't folow the road all the Way to Lake Willoughby. I took another quick shot of the pond from the side of the road on the way by:

I go up and down Hinton Hill Road in Westmore just about every time I am in Vermont. It's one of my favorite roads and the photo ops are endless on this beautiful road. I really like this shot that I took during one of the stops that we made on Saturday. We were at the top of a hill on the road shooting a long view over to the right and when I turned around and looked down the hill, this is what I saw:

I'm looking forward to hearing other's photographic finds!!!

Carol

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:05 am

Thanks Carol. Great "finds." You know me well enough to know that I'll make a B-line for that Regan Road shot the next time I am in VT. But the pond on Wheeler Mt. Road looks pretty nice. I can see there are some Barton Shots that are worth the trip over the notch.
Andy

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:40 am

Andy, if you are in the Montgomery area you should also do the West Hill and Hill West Roads and the Fuller Bridge/ South Richford Road for some more views.

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks, Phil. Seeing as that isn't far from you, I'll probably just hire you as a personal Guide :)
Andy

CodyBing

Postby CodyBing » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:00 pm

abby wrote:Image
[img]

Carol, this shot is awesome. If this is a common scene, I'm totally rethinking my current Washington State residency. :D

Photosbyzen

Postby Photosbyzen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Carol that shot is fantastic. I am so hoping that this little wind storm has not hindered the beauty that awaits.

Once again wonderful shot's

Andy you can bank on myself posting some photos ;)

abby

Postby abby » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:06 pm

Andy wrote:Thanks, Phil. Seeing as that isn't far from you, I'll probably just hire you as a personal Guide :)

Can I come too?????? :)
Carol

abby

Postby abby » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:08 pm

CodyBing wrote:
abby wrote:Image
[img]

Carol, this shot is awesome. If this is a common scene, I'm totally rethinking my current Washington State residency. :D

Yup Kevin....it sure is a common scene!! I look forward to seeing your photos.

Carol

Return to “Vermont Photography Forum”