Found a new spot to photograph

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photograps you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, admin

abby

Postby abby » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:17 pm

Andy, I totally get what you are saying, but is it possible to get the whites without looking like that? I just took a peak at your photos of Mad River on your website, and your whites don't look any different than my whites (at least to me they don't) I also took a peak at Al's photo of the stream at Babcock State Park and where the flowing water hits flat on the rocks on the left hand side there is a very bright white area and also where the flowing water hits the still water below it is very bright white.

I am not being defensive at all, but trying to learn. You know me by now, and know that I crave feedback and suggestions to improve on my photography and I always learn from you.....you have been my main teacher :) so I am just trying to understand all this.

Thanks bunches,
Carol

GIC

PZ filter

Postby GIC » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:45 am

Andy,
What is a PZ filter?
Thanks

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:32 pm

GIC: PZ=polarizing

Carol. Guess I didn't see your post until tonight. In a shot where the water is foaming, there will always be some pure white (the foamy water is white or near white). But my point was that more than just the truly white areas appear to be blown out on your photo.

Again, its really difficult to tell on an over-the-internet shot on a monitor. Unfortunately, even with a color managed workflow, in my experience, the jpegs we view on the net will vary greatly from monitor to monitor.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

GIC

Postby GIC » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:54 pm

Thanks Andy. I use PF the Z through me off, which made me think Humm do I need that? I have few of them. They are a must have.

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:21 pm

Sometimes our use of abbreviations gets confusing. :)
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Return to “Vermont Photography Forum”