Happy New year

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photograps you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, admin

abby

Happy New year

Postby abby » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:25 am

I hope everyone has had enjoyable holidays so far! I just would like to wish you a happy and healthy new year full of photographic opportunities and successes!!!!!!!
To follow up on one of the previous posts:
We were discussing that I was getting a new DSLR for Christmas so I figured I'd let you know what Santa brought me. I got a Nikon D90 with an 18-200 mm lens and a 50 mm f1.8 lens. I am thrilled and have lots to learn but so far I am loving it. It will be coming to VT with me this weekend and I'll post a photo or two if I get anything decent. I'm not sure the weather will be cooperating but I sure hope it does.
Happy new year,
Carol

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Great choice. I couldn't afford one now that I'm retiring, so I settled for a Canon Rebel XSI.

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:42 pm

Nothing wrong with that choice! I think you will find your photographic "horizons" widening with the DSLR format.

I may be "preaching to the choir." You may have been a long time (closet?) SLR user and already know this. But I'll take the chance of offending <G>

For those who aren't familiar with the SLR/DSLR format, I highly recommmend an AMPhoto Book by Bryan Peterson entitled "Understanding Exposure." Brian does the best, clearest job, IMO, of explaining the relationship between camera f-stops and shutter speeds and shows you how you can profit from knowing these relationships. It is available at Amazon.com and often I see it in the bookstores. My copy is "dog-eared." I would also recommend reading some of the tuturials on the luminous landscape website regarding exposure with DSLR cameras.

Finally, with the DSLR format, you really must consider using a tripod and a cable release to get the most from it.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

abby

Postby abby » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:13 am

PWT,
Congratulations on your new purchase. I am so happy for you! You picked the perfect time to get a new camera. You are going to have the time to spend using it once you retire and I know it will help top make your retirement even more enjoyable. You're going to be having so much fun. Good for you! :)

I'm still learning how to use my new camera, but I'm proud of myself so far. I'm actually shooting in manual mode and not in P mode anymore. Once I learned how to use the control wheels, it's very intuitive and easy and most of all fun!

We had a good weekend in Vermont. I was able to get a few early morning photos taken on Sunday morning before the sun went in and stayed in the rest of the time.

You can see some of my very first D90 photos in my Picasa site. Please remember most of these were just taken in P mode and they are my "firsts" so be kind. :)

The landscapes are dedicated to PWT, the covered bridge to CT, the water scenes to Al, and the tightly cropped swans to Andy. A little tribute to you and your influences on me.

www.picasaweb.google.com/smithcar57 (the very first album titled D90 photos)

Carol

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:21 am

I check out your D90 page. The photos looked great. I have used mt rebel too much yet. I'm still stuck with the basic 18-55 lense until I can afford a better one. With the overtime I got for Xmas and New Years I should be able to do that next week. Right now I'm becoming one with my snowblower, so I'll check in later.

abby

Postby abby » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:37 am

pwt54 wrote:I check out your D90 page. The photos looked great. I have used mt rebel too much yet. I'm still stuck with the basic 18-55 lense until I can afford a better one. With the overtime I got for Xmas and New Years I should be able to do that next week. Right now I'm becoming one with my snowblower, so I'll check in later.

LOL PWT!!!!! I wish we were getting the snow here. We got the snow last night, then ice this morning (it was pretty dangerous) and now it's raining and all slushy here. They are still getting ice just west of me, so I'll take the rain, thank you very much!
Be careful out there!!!
Carol

autzig

Postby autzig » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:02 pm

Carol, your photos are wonderful. I particularly liked the first swan. The stream photos were really nice too, especially the first one.

There may be a couple of lessons here to get you out of the P mode.

The swan might be a touch underexposed. On automatic, your camera thinks it is 18% gray. A rule of thumb for shooting whites is to open up 2 stops. I don't think your shot is that underexposed, maybe 1.

The foreground of the second stream shot, is out of focus. You need to take that shot with a smaller aperture that gets everything sharp. Your dumb camera didn't pick the right aperture but you could have.

The sky in the sunset shot is spectacular but the foreground has no detail. This is where shooting in raw can really help out. Take two exposures, exposing properly for the sky on one and the foreground on the other. Merge the two in Photoshop and you will have what you saw when you took the shot. You could use Photomatix to merge multiple images with multiple exposures and get the dynamic range that your camera isn't capable of capturing.

These are terrific shots. Imagine what you could do by substituting your brains for your camera that assumes that every scene is 18% gray.

Thanks for your note. I'm glad you invited me to see your photos. I haven't had much opportunity for photography lately. Shot a Iguana when I was in Florida in December. http://www.goldimagesphoto.com/nature/nature1201.html

abby

Postby abby » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:32 pm

That iguana is gorgeous Al. The colors are amazing and it's nice and sharp. I enjoyed all of the photos in your nature gallery. The nesting herons, the Florida pelican, the turtle, the gannets nesting in the rocks.....all of them........wow........really beautiful!!!

Thank you thank you thank you for the critiques. I am so appreciative. I am going to be starting to shoot RAW......I had a conversation with Andy about that just today and he sent me a link to download because CS3 isn't compatible with the D90. So I will get that set up and I'll be good to go!

I actually just taught myself how to shoot manual with this camera so I won't be shooting in P mode anymore.

I also don't have a new tripod yet, so that's another reason why these images may not be as sharp as they should be.

I'm just really excited and happy and looking forward to getting out there and taking more photos and improving.

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking a peak at my photos. I hope you stick your nose in here very now and then........would love to keep hearing from you throughout the winter months.

Carol

ctyanky

Postby ctyanky » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:03 pm

Abby: Thank you for dedicating that covered bridge to me! I have this thing for Vermont covered bridges and have to go in and out of each one that I come across! Your pictures never cease to amaze me! But boy, does it look cold up there! I'm freezing as it is here in Connecticut with all this snow and ice we have been receiving lately! Just out of curiosity, where is this covered bridge?

As I have said before, many of your photos tell a story and they keep me captivated. Keep up the good work with that new amazing camera of yours and I can't wait to see it in October! Your pictures are getting better and better and you are becoming a true professional! And your enthusiasm runneth over! :wink: :wink: :wink:

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:10 am

We got lucky up here. They predicted 6 - 12 inches and we only got 5 - 10.

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Carol: The link I sent you was to the ADOBE website. It is not that CS3 ISN'T compatible with the D90. It is absolutely compatible. Adobe has a RAW converter that is bundled with Photoshop in the CS versions, called Adobe Raw Converter (ACR). When CS3 first shipped, the D90 was either not out yet, or very new. Every new camera's RAW format is different and it takes ADOBE a while to get a new RAW format's information to work with ACR. They then put out a release of a new plugin file. The link I sent you contains plugins for several new cameras/RAW formats that came out since CS3 was first released. They do note that it is the LAST update for CS3. They are now concentrating on CS4. So newer cameras may NOT be compatible with CS3. One way to make sure we have to upgrade to the newest and best :wink:

With Al's comments about your photos I'll add one. In order to make his suggestion to merge two exposures together, you MUST shoot both images from a tripod to ensure they register properly. You mention that you don't have your "new" tripod yet. Do you have an old one? It may well be that the old one is better than no tripod.

The two I like best: The red barn closeup (surprise) and the snow fence. My comment about the snow fence -- guess??

Yup -- I would crop it a little tighter. I would like to see you eliminate the undefined white space in the upper left part of the photo--and maybe just a bit of the foreground that doesn't have the shadows. I might "work" the photo slightly to try to get a little detail in the foreground snow.

Not sure I agree with you, Al, on the swan exposures. Might just be the difference in our monitors. But I think the exposure looks pretty good (the really close one looks a tad OVER exposed to me, which is interesting, because you would think the meter would see all that white and stop down. But the Nikon matrix metering is pretty impressive, IMO.

One other comment -- I am very impressed with the color -- out of the box -- with the D90.
Andy

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:33 pm

PWT: My first SLR had a 55 mm lens and a 135mm lens. I took lots of photos with that combo. It is hard to imagine -- thinking back -- how I got along without zoom. I guess you have to work a little harder with your legs :lol:.

With my second SLR, I only had the "normal" 50mm lens which was customarily sold on SLR bodies years back. I used those cameras exclusively for a couple years. That 18-55 is a pretty good range for most of the work I do today. Should be some pretty good opportunities -- and results with it.

What are you thinking of getting to replace / supplement it?
Andy

abby

Postby abby » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:41 pm

ctyanky wrote:Abby: Thank you for dedicating that covered bridge to me! I have this thing for Vermont covered bridges and have to go in and out of each one that I come across! Your pictures never cease to amaze me! But boy, does it look cold up there! I'm freezing as it is here in Connecticut with all this snow and ice we have been receiving lately! Just out of curiosity, where is this covered bridge?

As I have said before, many of your photos tell a story and they keep me captivated. Keep up the good work with that new amazing camera of yours and I can't wait to see it in October! Your pictures are getting better and better and you are becoming a true professional! And your enthusiasm runneth over! :wink: :wink: :wink:

A professional??? Nah....not even close. But, enthusiastic????......Yup! :) LOL :wink:

The covered bridge is in Lyndonville. I took the photo while standing on the adjacent bridge on Route 5 just out of Lyndonville center. That covered bridge is no longer in use. It's actually not the prettiest bridge, but for some reason, it makes a pretty photograph. I think the vantage point from that bridge is the best place to photograph it from. The trees make a nice "frame" for the covered bridge.

Thanks a bunch CT and stay warm!!!!!

Carol (abby)

abby

Postby abby » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:58 pm

Andy,
I knew it was some kind of an update. :roll: Patrick installed it tonight but it's not right. I took a test shot in RAW when I came home but it's recognized as a NEF file, not a RAW file. I can adjust the white balance and a few other things, but a lot of the options will not work. I have to have him install it again because it's not right. I was hoping to shot some RAW snow scenes tomorrow. We are getting a storm tonight.

To answer some of your questions:

Yes, I have my old tripod. It's pretty light weight and flimsy. I don't dare attach the new camera to it. If it ever fell over........... :shock:

Thank you so much for your suggestions on the fence shot. I will work on it tonight. I like the red barn close up too.

Al's comments on the swan exposure. I think he may be correct on the first one being a bit underexposed, but I don't think the other 2 are.

I'm glad you're impressed with the D90 and I look forward to getting out there and taking more photos.

Carol

abby

Postby abby » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Update: The link has been installed properly and everything is working now. Thank you. I'm not working tomorrow and the sun is coming out in the afternoon. Ready or not, here I come. :wink:
Thanks again,
Carol

Return to “Vermont Photography Forum”