especially for you PWT

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

pwt54

Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:41 am

Yeah, I try to go there 3 or 4 times a year. I try to go a week or so before Christmas to get a bag of old fashion Christmas candy for my mother. I also like to test the fudge at the Bath General Store. The Showy Lady's Slippers are out on the Dog Pond Road. The water was over my water proof hiking boots and a thunderstorm was coming, so I rushed my photo shots. I hope they come out okay. They have spread down the swamp this year.

pwt54

Thunder Falls

Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:00 pm

My brother and I were driving down to Weston on route 100 and decided to take the River Road between route 100 ( across from the golf course) and route US 4 in Killington as a short cut. We saw this new boardwalk going across the bog and decided to try it. There was an itty-bitty parking area in front of the walkway. The walkway ended at a falls called Thunder Falls. Impressive for VT. I checked the trees and saw some a few red maples. This could make a good photo opportunity, buy the lighting is trickey.

pwt54

Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:35 am

No. This is the River Road in Killington. The falls are heavily tree lined and it's dark. When we were there at noon the sun was shining right on the falls and the surrounding area was dark. Getting a good shot is tricky. It might be better doing in the late afternoon or mid morning. There is a rough trail going to the top right now, but the club is suppose to improve it later this summer. The River Road itself should have some good color judging by the trees.

pwt54

Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:13 am

An overcast day may be too dark. If your camera has some sort of manuel adjustments you might be able to work it out.

pwt54

Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:15 pm

Abby, I just read in the northeastwaterfalls.com website that the waterfalls has 4 levels and can also be reached from the Thundering Brook Road off route US 4.

Andy

Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:22 pm

abby wrote:Thanks PWT. I was thinking it may be too dark after I thought about it. Have a great weekend!
Carol
Carol: It shouldn't be too dark, if you shoot from a tripod. You are right that an "overcast" day (I like "bright overcast") is probably better. What you want is relatively flat (low contrast) lighting and a day when there is no wind. You can then shoot longer exposures (from a tripod), and still get the foliage in focus. The longer exposure will get you that smooth water effect that you want. When you meter, you want to make sure you don't overexpose (blow out) the whitest part of the water.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:09 pm

Normal wind may not be a problem. You will be in a wooded cove at the bottom and thick woods on the way up. The climb up is steep.