MAD RIVER

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Andy

MAD RIVER

Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:17 am

Somewhere South of Granville, Alder Meadow Brook starts as a branch/tributary of the White River. It flows North along 100 until it meets with Deer Hollow Brook coming out of the National Forest and becomes the Mad River. I am unclear about exactly where this spot is, but my DeLorme map shows a “local” secondary road about 4 miles South of Warren which “feels” right. The road is just a few hundred feet and is basically a “turnoff” with a couple of picnic tables. As I drove South toward Moss Glen Falls, a splash of color behind the brook caught my eye and I pulled off into the picnic area. It was early morning and overcast and I felt that I still had good light for a while, so with a cup of fresh hot coffee, I grabbed my tripod and camera gear and decided to explore this little stream. What I found was level after level of falls and little pools and eddys everywhere. Unfortunately, I had in mind Moss Glen as a destination and only spent about an hour there. I regret that. I will go back and explore more on my next trip to Vermont. I have been identifying my photos taken here as “Alder Meadow Brook,” but now I realize from my map that it is truly the upper section of the Mad River.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

New Photo Posted

Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:51 am

Couldn't figure out how to edit my post -- so, replying to myself (at least somebody does <g>).

I just uploaded another Mad River shot to the photo section. The others that are there titled "Alder Meadow Brook" are technically Mad River, too and are withing a few hundred feet of the new one
Andy

pwt54

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:43 am

I use to swim in that little swimming hole next to the last picnic table at the south end of the drive.

Andy

Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:41 pm

Why does it not surprise me that you have been there :). If you look at the photo gallery, I think that might be the one with the swirl in the photo?
Andy

pwt54

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:44 am

I like the Randolph route. Turn left at the end of the ramp. Drive to the stop in Randolph village and go straight. At the sharp left curve turn right for route 12A. !2A is a lonely quiet road. The Warren Mt/Roxbury Mt road will be on the left side in Roxbury Village. It is part pavement and part dirt and quite scenic at the top. It might slow down a shutterbug a bit.

pwt54

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:51 am

Whoa, you must have posted your directions while I was 2 finger typing my answer. The directions are accurate and the Bethel Mt road is a nice ride. It's paved all the way.

Andy

Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:25 am

One advantage to the Bethel Mt. Road Route (besides being paved) is that you will drive by Moss Glen Falls North of Granville and get a chance to see it yourself and draw your own conclusion. I wouldn't linger there, though, if you are tying to get to the Mad River shot while the morning light.

Let us know which way you go and what you find!
Andy

Andy

Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:26 am

Paul: Scenic, do you mean there are open views from the top?
Andy