Northeast Kingdom photo ops

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photograps you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, admin

abby

Northeast Kingdom photo ops

Postby abby » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:59 pm

There is a road in Barton called Kinsey Road that I have driven past a million times. I turned down it this past winter and I was in for quite a surprise. Up ahead on the left there was a view of Barton Village. It is a classic Vermont village scene with a white steepled church with a large hill behind it. I never knew this view existed. I have never seen this shot photographed before. It is well worth the trip for those interested in taking this type of photo.
Directions:
Kinsey Road is located off Rte. 5 in Barton. To get there from Rte 91, take exit 25 (rte. 16 also known as Glover Road). Bear left onto Rte 5 at the Village Square. (If interested, stop in to Memory Lane antique shop in the village)
About 1/2 mile up on the left you will turn onto Kinsey Road. You will see the classic shot unfold before you up on your left.

When finished there, continue to the end and turn right onto Elm St. Elm St. then turns into Burton Hill Road. It turns to dirt but is usually maintained well. There is a series of "roller coaster" hills. At the top of one of those hills, the next photo op I want to mention will be before you. There will be a farm with a white barn at the bottom of the hill in the forefront with Jay Peak and other Mountains off in the distance. Pull over here (as best you can) and start shooting. I got a beautiful sunset shot here this past summer. It is nicely composed with the barn and dirt road running down the right hand side in the forefront and mountains in the distance. There is also a small (very) pond or "watering hole" that can add to the photo.

When finished there continue on that road and you will come out to Irasburg Village. There is a common with a white steepled church. Stop here for another photo op.

If you want to photograph a rickety old covered bridge, turn right onto rte 58. About 1/2 mile down turn left onto Covered Bridge Road. I have seen 1 covered bridge there, not too far up, but I *think* there may be a second bridge 1-2 miles in. I have not gone that far but will this Sept. 29th.
When done there, go back to Rte 58 and turn right to go back to Irasburg Common.

*Continue directions from the common here if you didn't go to the bridge*

If you didn't turn right and go to the bridge turn left after the common onto rte 58. Turn right onto rte 14 north. *approximately* 1/2 mile - 1 mile up on the left take a turn (I *think*) it is Rte 58.
Anyways, you will see a round barn up ahead on the left.

Have fun and hope this helped and has given some new ideas of places to photograph!
Abby

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:15 pm

Abby: Thanks for these. I will really look forward to all three of these the next time I am in Vermont. I was able to find the first two easily on my Delorme Street Atlas. However, I am a little confused about the Round Barn Directions.

It looks to me like VT 14 and VT 58 junction in Irasburg. It looks like 14 basically is a N/S road and 58 and E/W road. Just North of the Village, the roads "merge" for about a mile and a quarter, and then 14 splits off to the North and 58 to the West. Is that where you are saying to turn left onto 58? The barn will be immediately visible at that point? I see a road called Gage Road. Is that anywhere near the barn?
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

abby

Postby abby » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:55 pm

Hi Andy,
Yes, I am almost positive that is correct. You're right. Rtes 14 and 58 are merged for a short distance and rte 14 keeps going straight North (leads you into Newport). Rte 58 heads west. I know Rte 58 turns left (from the map I have) and I do believe that is the road that the round barn is on. The barn is visible in one spot from the rte 14/58 road and as soon as you make the left hand turn, you will see it up on the left.

Rte 58 after you pass the round barn leads you into Lowell. I have never travled that road to Lowell. We traveled it for a few miles this summer just to check it out but it was out of our way so we turned around, but I remember it had some pretty mountain views and I remember saying to my husband it would be a pretty ride to take in the fall.

I have some other pretty drives and scenic spots around the Barton area that I can share in another post when I have some time.

I'm not too confident with giving directions so I want to make sure I have it right before I post.

I hope this helped?
Abby

Return to “Vermont Photography Forum”