TUNBRIDGE

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Andy

TUNBRIDGE

Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:18 pm

Tunbridge Village is another shot described by Kaplan as one of the classic Vermont photo scenics. My shot of the Village, and of an old barn referenced below, are on the contributors site. Tunbridge is the home of the Tunbridge World’s Fair, which has run continuously, since 1867. The Village of Tunbridge is on Vermont 110, in the central part of the state between Chelsea to the North and South Royalton to the South, near Interstate 89. The Shot of Tunbridge Village, is from Potash Hill Road, which starts at the cemetery, just across from the town hall, to the East. Go up the hill past the cemetery, and look back. From the farm field to the right, you can get shots of the village, and the farms and foliage on the hills up behind the village to the West, and the fairgrounds. There are a variety of shots from the farm field. Once again, I noted that this field is a cow pasture and that I would not tramp down any growing crops. Note that the foliage is growing up and that the shot may become more obscured over time by the two large evergreens in the foreground.

Another “disappointment” for me is the new, bright green “standing seam” metal roofing that is so prevalent (both green and red) on buildings in the state these days. All the village buildings and the Fairgrounds buildings are now roofed that way.

I was also able to get a shot of an old barn in a field across the road to the West, which looks like it will continue to be a nice shot for some time in the future. I would have liked to catch this shot either in peak foliage, or in full summer foliage.

There are also some opportunities to photograph the Fairgrounds. It looks like it might be a good site to visit during the fair.

To the south, from the fairgrounds, is another shot of a farm. There is also a covered bridge just south of the village.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Re: TUNBRIDGE

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:53 am

I don't know if you will be wandering around the Tunbridge/Strafford area in the future. But if you do, do not try the Pennock Road from Old City to the Miller Pond Road with a car!

Andy

Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:09 am

Would a high ground clearance SUV work? What is the attraction of that road -- just fall color, or are there views, or other photographic subject that make it worth the trip?
Andy

pwt54

Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:05 pm

An SUV will work fine. My old Saturn Vue did alright although my left rear wheel was in the air over one spot. It's not that scenic a ride. My brother and I were checking out a couple of abandoned farm sites. That's our hobby.

pwt54

Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:10 pm

oops, forgot the waterfalls in Old City. Taking the Old City Falls Road from the Justin Morrell Highway, after you go around the sharp left curve and over the bridge look for the parking area on the left. Walk across the picnic area to pick up the trail. The trail is steep but not very long. I'm not sure how photogenic it is.

Andy

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:31 am

One of my planned projects is to shoot old abandonned barns and buildings. I may want to get more information from you for my next Vermont Trip.

It is a subject that can be done any time, IMO, and so I don't necessarily tie it with foliage. Next time I make a summer trip, it might be a subject well worth pursuing.
Andy