Excellent Idea

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

GIC

Excellent Idea

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:56 am

Excellent idea pbpub
My problem is I move around like a ping-pong ball and hardly notate where I took pictures. If I do, I usually take a picture of a road sign or some landmark to remember the location. Next year I will tie in my pictures with GPS data. Pictures will have the GPS locations Those that have GPS systems or GPS maps will be able to locate the exact area and direction from where the picture was taken.
Hope this forum takes off. Could be real interesting.

Andy

Re: Excellent Idea

Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:57 am

Thanks for doing this, Tim. I, too, hope it catches on.

I have been waiting for Nikon to produce its MC-35 adaptor for my handheld GPS unit for almost a year now. I agree with GIC that GPS information would be really cool and helpful. I have considered trying to record it by hand as I photograph and decided I have enough things to do already when trying to catch that "decisive moment"
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Heather Forcier

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:37 pm

There is a good article on using GPS to identify your photo locations here:

http://www.naturescapes.net/092006/dc0906.htm

GIC

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:59 am

Hi Heather and all,
I’m pretty much the same way. I wander around in the fall time letting my eyes guide me to wherever they may take me.
Heather, I have to say, I have heard of you before and have seen your photography. For me it is a great honor to have you here and interact with you. Your photography is truly a unique work of art.

Tip:
During fall when temperatures have been at least in the low to mid 40’s consecutively for at least three nights or even if there has been frost and you know that the next day temperatures will be climbing into the 60’s, expect fog. The fog will rise from wet ground areas such as fields, lakes, ponds, streams, and rivers. If you can be on location prior to sunrise of where these conditions exist you will be in for some eye candy.

I have found it interesting to photograph fall foliage in fog, vapor, misty or light rain conditions. Those type conditions can create some breathtaking photos.
With fog you can capture rays of light passing thru colorful trees.
Vapor rising from water bodies combined with reflections can be awesome shots.
Sometimes you can capture the fog or vapor rising from the roofs of barns and farmhouses. Just use your imagination.

GIC

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:59 am

Andy,
I think the MC-35 is already available.
Nikon USA

and this is very good review site

Digital Photography Review

Andy

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:31 am

GIC - yes the MC-35 has been on the Nikon USA site for a number of years (since the D2H came out). Advertising it and manufacturing it are another thing, though :) . I have been trying to buy one for a year. The major mail order houses have had it on backorder since before the D200 shipped. There are none to be found anywhere -- not even on eBay.

I have had DPreview bookmarked for years. They are a good source of "breaking news." They also do pretty good in-depth reviews of new cameras (usually just as or when they come out).
Andy

Andy

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:34 am

Heather: Thanks for the article on GPS use. I read it with interest. However, it looks too cumbersome for my purposes, especially when my manufacturer is supposed to have an adaptor out that will put the GPS information right into the EXIF data as I shoot. Now, if I can only find one <g>

My problem is that I already find the "workflow" for getting RAW images to the "use" stage to be a time-consuming task. I don't use jpegs for much, and that would add just one more time and space consuming step. However, it looks like a viable way to get the information -- especially if the equipment is not available.
Andy

Andy

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:51 am

I wanted to update my experience with trying to find a GPS solution. I had an educational e-mail exchange with Nikon Technical Services, USA. He was very helpful, but also unable to help (if that makes sense). Essentially the message I got from Nikon (not necessarily attributable to the rep I dealt with), is that they simply are not comitted to providing the MC-35 anymore -- except that they continue to advertise it as an available option.

For reasons I would rather not discuss publicly (because of the source of my information), I did discover a solution (I would be glad to give out the information in a pm), which works for me. There is a company who provides a TP cable which will sync with my D200 (and I assume other mfgrs, too) and my eTrex GPS unit. Unfortunately, it plugs into the electronic cable release socket. However, they provide a solution to that, with a separate release which is only about $20. The whole package was less than $100. I plan to use it this fall on my trip the the Shenandoah NP. I am not sure how useful GPS coordinates really are, when we can give road and map directions <g>, but it is interesting to me.
Andy