this weekend in Southern Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

this weekend in Southern Vermont

Fri Oct 12, 2001 3:19 pm

My wife and I are coming from Westchestey county, NY to Southern VT tomorrow and we have reserved a hotel near Bennington. What would be the best route to take from here to get the best view on the road? (Taconic,Route 7, or I-91?) Any other suggestions on routes in Southern VT are appreciated. <P>Thanks,<P>Tom

Geri

Re: this weekend in Southern Vermont

Sun Oct 14, 2001 7:02 pm

I live in NW CT. Route 7 along the Housatonic River is gorgeous right now. Stop in West Cornwall, lovely village and covered bridge. Salisbury, CT and Route 41 North is a nice route. For adventure, go up the gravel Mt. Riga Road out of Salisbury to South Edgarmont, MA (turns to pavement near Mt. Everett, MA (you can drive up Mt. Everett). From Bennington, VT Route 9 East is beautiful, Prospect Mountain, Somerset Resevoir. In NW CT we are at peak. We found the colors more brilliant in VT this year than in CT. Merck Forest Preserve in Rupert, VT is nice for long walks (forest and meadows, Mt. Antone and flowing brooks). Also, Grafton Village in VT is pretty and Townsend area of VT. The leaves will be falling, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I love it when the ground is coated with the leaves. Also, better vistas. Get the Vermont Atlas map book to locate the Class 3 roads to really get a feel for what VT is all about. Enjoy.