Foliage color in southern Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

admin
Site Admin

Foliage color in southern Vermont

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:59 am

Hi:
I have been taking pictures around Brattleboro and Guilford. At Green River, foliage is at peak, but not in Brattleboro. The hillside behind the town is still not lit up.

Went over to Woodstock and a lot of leaves got blown off after the storm earlier in the weekend. There are no leaves on the trees around Jenne Farm south of Woodstock. The wind and rain must have been fierce. Now in Manchester at the Northshire Bookstore availing myself of their free wifi connection.

There is a lot of wind damage here also, but definitely worthwhile visiting as some hillsides arte still pretty good. Will be visiting the Arlington Covered Bridge so will check back in later.

I would say this is the last REALLY good weekend of color in Vermont although there will still be some good patches left next week, I suppose.

Tim

ankhster

Re: Foliage color in southern Vermont

Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:15 pm

Tim, how does Manchester look? Is it peaking this weekend or does the next weekend look better prospectively?

dfpvt

Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:16 pm

I was in Manchester this morning and about ten miles from there right now. It's getting very close to peak and I'd recommend coming sooner rather than later. There's still a lot of green showing this afternoon, but the colors seem to be turning quickly and there was widespread frost last night. It will probably still be nice in another week, but past peak.

jzhang2006

Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:34 am

I am planning go to South Vermont tomorrow (Sunday, 10/8). How is the color today and maybe tomorrow?

ixl

Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:16 pm

My guess is that there will still be plenty of color around Bennington next weekend -- but a big storm is forecast for the end of this week and that may prematurely end the season.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

jzhang2006

Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:39 pm

Big storm? Looked at local weather, it says mot Sunny tomorrow and clearing later. I am heading there anyway. Hope can take some nice pictures. Thanks for the advice.