Best fall tour from albany to vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

vandanagoel

Best fall tour from albany to vermont

Wed Oct 10, 2001 10:30 am

W are plannig to visit vermont this weekend. We are coming from albany/ny. Which area should we stay and what are the best fall tours and general scenic activities in vermont.<P><BR>Thanks,<BR>Vandana

svmoderator

Re: Best fall tour from albany to vermont

Thu Oct 11, 2001 9:37 am

Vandana, <BR>Anywhere from southern Vermont to Rte. 4 will be in good color this weekend. If you're in Albany, I'd take Rte. 7 over to Rte. 9 in Vermont to Bennington, then take Rte. 7A north, winding through the villages and towns to Manchester. Manchester may be a little crowded, so head over Rte. 11 to Rte. 100 from Manchester and go north to Rte. 4. Killington is offering scenic foliage rides on two gondolas, and you can head over Rte. 4 to Woodstock and Quechee for foliage. And/or south to Wilmington, and I understand Stratton is running their gondola this weekend for foliage also. Don't be afraid to take a back road or two along the way, but the two numbered routes 7A and 100 (also 100A) will give you lots of scenery and good scenics. The road from Arlington east to Kelly Stand goes across the Long Trail and provides a stunning drive on a road that is closed in winter. The color should be still-awesome in all these areas I've mentioned.<BR>Enjoy!<BR>Susanne<p>[This message has been edited by svmoderator (edited 10-11-2001).]

hari

Thu Oct 11, 2001 10:06 am

vandana,<BR>i can vouch for Rts. 100 & 11. i've been there last weekend and were great. <P>if you have time, i suggest you stop for an hour or so at a state park (there are atleast three on Rt.100) so that you can really take things in. i couldn't do that on my trip and am regretting :-(<P>enjoy!

vandanagoel

Thu Oct 11, 2001 12:23 pm

Thanks for your suggestion.<P>Actually after doing reseach i also thought of bennigton, manchester, killington, wood stock and queachy.<P>Is equinox mountain too good. Actually there is a crafts fare in veston, and i may have to skip a thing to cover all above.<P>So is equinox mountain or veston crafts fair.<P>And which gandola ride is better for fall colors. Killingston, Mount Sonw or Stratton. Bloomley is already closed.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by svmoderator:<BR><B>Vandana, <BR>Anywhere from southern Vermont to Rte. 4 will be in good color this weekend. If you're in Albany, I'd take Rte. 7 over to Rte. 9 in Vermont to Bennington, then take Rte. 7A north, winding through the villages and towns to Manchester. Manchester may be a little crowded, so head over Rte. 11 to Rte. 100 from Manchester and go north to Rte. 4. Killington is offering scenic foliage rides on two gondolas, and you can head over Rte. 4 to Woodstock and Quechee for foliage. And/or south to Wilmington, and I understand Stratton is running their gondola this weekend for foliage also. Don't be afraid to take a back road or two along the way, but the two numbered routes 7A and 100 (also 100A) will give you lots of scenery and good scenics. The road from Arlington east to Kelly Stand goes across the Long Trail and provides a stunning drive on a road that is closed in winter. The color should be still-awesome in all these areas I've mentioned.<BR>Enjoy!<BR>Susanne<P>[This message has been edited by svmoderator (edited 10-11-2001).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>