a confession : "too much is not enough". and hence, ad

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

hari

a confession : "too much is not enough". and hence, ad

Wed Oct 10, 2001 9:38 am

the past weekend (Oct 6,7,8), i have been to the white & green mountains. the trip to the whites was wasted because of all the rain and snow, not to mention the horrible traffic. i was very disappointed as this is my first foliage trip and had been waiting for so long. <P>but, lo-behold, Vermont more than compensated for all that. we (wife is the other) drove around Rts. 14, 4, 100, 11, 30 and ofcourse I-91. it was beautiful to say the least, with all those mountain vistas and the colors. i would like give a word of credit to I-91 (between wells river and white river jn, which was specatcular). i had eat my words about the interstates. Quechee village looked so serene. woodstock was so... full of people. one other place that keeps coming back before my eyes is the townsend dam nestled between the mountains. i wish i had been there in the morning. due to unfortunate circumstances, we had to come back home (NJ) side-stepping our scheduled camping stop at molly stark state park near wilmington. <P>now, we both regret that and would like to amend things by going back (600 mile round trip and my wife thinks i am crazy). the question is - will the colors still be at "near peak" over the next weekend around the south vermont area (wilmington & bennington) ? if so, would someone let me know of things to do, places to visit & affordable accomodations nearby. thanks.<BR>

admin
Site Admin

Re: a confession : "too much is not enough". and hence, ad

Wed Oct 10, 2001 10:31 am

Hello Hari:<BR>There is still time to make another trip back to Vermont...just stick to the south. All next week should be fine. If you need a place to say, check our lodging listings. Some of the best inns in southern Vermont are affiliated with our sites. Check our southern counties map for places to go.<P>Here are the urls:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.bedandbreakfasts-vermont.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.bedandbreakfasts-vermont.com</A> <P>and click "Locator Maps"<P>Hope this helps!<P><P>------------------<BR> Timothy Palmer-Benson [Mail:tim@pbpub.com]<BR> ** Web Publishing for Vermont **<BR> *** <A HREF="http://www.pbpublishing.org" TARGET=_blank>http://www.scenesofvermont.com</A> ***<BR>**** Tel:802-895-4295, Fax:802-895-4635****<BR> *****Box 219, Morgan VT 05853*****<BR>___________________________________

Geri

Wed Oct 10, 2001 1:38 pm

Hi Hari, now that you are an experienced "leafer", lets get down to serious business :-) Get a Vermont Atlas & Gazetteer. Follow small roads. The gravel roads in VT are typically in very good condition (Class 3). Grafton Village is a charming place to walk around. There are walking paths and mountain bike rentals there. I would try to get away from the main roads this trip, do less driving and more walking and kicking up the leaves. Take in the smells and sounds at a more leisurely pace. Like Woodstock, Manchester will probably be pretty crowded. Personally, I don't care for Manchester, too commerical, lacks the Vermont village charm. The weather forecast keeps changing, but right now, it looks good for the weekend with the potential for some clouds and a few sprinkles. The temperatures will be in the 60's, low in the 40's. <BR>

svmoderator

Thu Oct 11, 2001 9:29 am

Hari,<BR>Now the weather report is even better for the weekend, no showers until at least Tuesday. Take one of the unpaved roads out of Arlington to Kelly Stand...you'll come to the Long Trail (footpath in the wilderness) that runs north-south from Massachusetts to Canada along the spine of the Green Mountains. Rte. 100 is spectacular in the southern Vermont area...winds up and down as well as around.<BR>Enjoy! You won't be sorry, the colors in southern Vermont are still bright.<BR>Susanne