Peacham/Groton, oh yeah !!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Peacham/Groton, oh yeah !!

Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:32 pm

There is some good color in the Peacham/Groton/Danville area right now. The common theme is; good color next to the back roads and wet areas, and still early elsewhere. The Peacham Road from Danville to Groton does have some good color in spots, but it's the dirt roads that are the best. Mack's Mountain Road starts on route US 2 and ends in Peacham as Church Street. Good color. The Brook Road from Harvy's Hollow to the Greenbank Hollow covered bridge and Harvy's Hollow Road from Harvy's Hollow to the Keiser Pond Road are very nice. The Keiser Pond Road starts on route US 2 in West Danville just west of the Jct. of route 15 and ends on the Peacham Road next to Ewell's Pond. This road is great! The Danville Hill Road from Cabot to route US 2 does have some color, but it's the panoramic view at the top of the hill that makes this road special. The Groton State Forest area is worth the trip. Route 232 has good color next to the road. The color around the ponds are still early but should be good by next weekend. There is color beside the road going to Owl's Head Mountain. I didn't do the short hike up the mountain because the parking lot was packed. There was a car from Texas parked there. There should be good early color over most of these areas next weekend and look for peak color by the 30th. About normal. If the color on these early trees is any indication, it will be a good year. Keep your fingers crossed.

iconnian

Re: Peacham/Groton, oh yeah !!

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:47 pm

Thanks PWT, I was wondering if there is a place you can get a local map of the area?

pwt54

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:04 pm

Go to the welcome center on 143 State Street in Montpelier. They have made some maps. I trained them well. Check the foliagevt public photo gallery for my new photo of the Mack's Mt. Road I've just uploaded. It'll give you an idea of what you can see.

Andy

Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:15 am

Hi PWT: You are making me nervous here. Last year, I took the first week of October off to travel back to Vermont for colors after a 20 year absence from the state. As you remember, due to some very unusual weather conditions, the colors were kind of a bust. Vowing to come back this year, I set the second week aside (7-15), thinking my "odds" were better. Please reassure me that all this talk of early color doesn't mean there won't still be lots of it there when I arrive :D
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:35 am

PWT: Saw your photos of Peacham taken this weekend. I am encouraged. My photo was taken about October 6, last year and it doesn't look very advanced from yours. I am looking forward to much better color this year! Thanks for keeping us posted.
Andy

pwt54

Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:54 pm

The colors are great next to the road and in the wet areas, but are early elsewhere. You should have good color that weekend overall. The trees next to the roads may be bare, but hillsides will be colorful. I'm encouraged by the quality of the colors. A couple of red maples in Groton were so intense that my poor digital camera didn't stand a chance.

iconnian

Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:36 am

Thanks PWT for all your info. Your directions really helped. I just wish the weather was better. I'm going to try again today before I go home.

rpk4398

Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:03 am

PWT, thanks for the image, but I had to go to the Contributors page to locate it. Is there a way to display the images chronologically, most recent first, on the Foliage-Vermont Photos page?

admin
Site Admin

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:59 am

I don't think the software will do this, but you can search for an image if that image has some text entered with it. There are no that many at the moment and only the Contributors area is updating at the moment.

If any of you would like me to separate future photos into areas of Vermont or any other subcatergory system, I could that.

Tim

rpk4398

Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:16 am

I think that the most recent images can provide much more accurate information about the current status. Text can only convey so much. And everyone wants to know what is happening NOW.

If the page's search engine is based on the image file names, and the image file names can be edited, perhaps attaching a date to each file name, such as 092506 will allow us to search for the most recent images. But displaying the images automatically by a simple display_last_upload_first scheme would be the best solution.

admin
Site Admin

Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:42 am

I've created September and October categories. They are for photos of this year only. If you fill out the accompanying form with correct dates, the photos should appear in date order.

Tim

Andy

Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:24 am

My uploaded photos were from last year. I put that right in the narrative. While it is true we are all anxious to know what is happening this year, I still think prior year's photos are useful. In some cases, I have read about places, but never seen them. A photo will tell me whether I want to go there, or concentrate my efforts on someplace else.

I'll be the first to agree that my composite photo has little informational value.
Andy

rpk4398

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:42 am

Pbpub, thanks for creating the categories. Now if only the uploaders follow your instructions...

iconnian

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:32 pm

Hello all, I'm going back up Columbus Day weekend. Last weekend was ruined by the rain on Saturday. I was wondering which road in Peacham is the most scenic and how can I snap a picture of the church from the hillside.What is the best vantage point, it looked like private property up that area. Also where does one park in Peacham? Thank you for all the info we get from this site.

Andy

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:50 pm

I have only been there from the north (Route 2 around Danby), but if you come into the main downtown and turn at the little general store (turn right rfom the north and left from the south). Go past the Town hall (on the right) and keep going up the hill. After you pass the Town Hall, you will come to (I think) a fire dept/town garage on the right. There is a cemetary on the left. You can park in the parking lot for the garage. There is a farm field behind the garage that is basically a Hillside. Walk back behind the garage and out into the farm field and you will have a view of the church with a barn in front of it. Years ago, there was a view from behind the field, but the trees have grown in and that view is gone. My shot on the contributors section of the foliage Vermont site is from that field.
Andy