Best driving route

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Best driving route

Wed Oct 03, 2001 5:52 pm

Hi,<P>We've decided to stay @ the Summit Lodge in Killington. Coming from southern CT can anyone recommend a driving route with a lot of scenery.<P>Thank You,<BR>-Craig

Re: Best driving route

Thu Oct 04, 2001 8:54 am

Well, from Southern CT, it's probably best to get to I-91 into VT at Guilford/Brattleboro. Take what I believe is Exit 2 or 3, Rte. 9 West to Rte 100 North. Take Rte. 100 to Killington. That should be quite pretty. To stretch it out even further, and depending where you are coming from, take Rte. 8 from CT through Massachusetts and into Vermont. Rte. 8 meets up with Rte. 100 in extreme southern Vermont. Continue as above. OR (we could do this forever), take Rte. 7, which is a gorgeous route, up the Housatonic River valley through CT, and MA, and into VT. Take either Rte. 9 East at Bennington to Rte. 100, or take Rte. 4 East at Rutland through Mendon and Sherburne Pass to Killington. Killington is about at the intersection of Rtes. 4 & 100. Have a great time...things are mighty pretty up there right now!<P>Daniel

svmoderator

Re: Best driving route

Thu Oct 04, 2001 9:07 am

If you do Rte. 7, be sure to switch over to Rte. 7A in Vermont, it's a better touring route, not like an interstate, and you see more towns and such.<P>I was just on Rte. 100 in southern Vermont, and I think I'd recommend that route. I'm pretty sure Rte. 9 is Exit 2 of I-91, and that way you can stop at the NEW Vermont Welcome Center on I-91 and get some local recommendations for driving tours. Then you'll pick up Rte. 100 in Wilmington. Everything was gorgeous yesterday, so have a great trip!<P>Susanne