southern VT: when? where?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Kara

southern VT: when? where?

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:00 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed my first week-long leaf-peeping trip to the White Mountains and central Vermont two years ago and am planning to take a Friday off in October and drive up to southern Vermont.

I'm looking for some classic New England towns that aren't wall-to-wall tour buses. On my first trip, I was overwhelmed by the crowds in Stowe; everywhere else didn't seem so bad, even the Kancamaugus.

From what I've read, Woodstock seems like another Stowe. How about Bennington? Any other suggestions?

I have some flexibility as to which Friday I take off to make a long weekend. Would mid-October be about right or is that too early? On my first trip in 2004, I was in NH and VT during the first week in October; as I recall, there was quite a bit of color in the White Mountains, but most of Sugar Hill's famous sugar maples were more green than orange.

pwt54

Re: southern VT: when? where?

Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:10 am

Mid - Oct. would be best in that area. Woodstock will be crowded. Grafton may be the same during foliage season. 2 places popped into my head when I read your message. East Poultney and Middletown Springs. They are both on route 140 between Poultney and Wallingford. They don't get the traffic the other places do. You may also want to check the Rupert/Pawlet area on routes 153 & 315. These roads form a loop from route 30 in Pawlet to route 30 again in North Pawlet. Tip; finish route 315 to West Rupert before you take route 153. This area is just below Poultney. Route 133 in this same area is a good ride. Thses roads are all paved. This is a secret so don't tell anybody or they will all be there when you arrive.

Kara

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:41 pm

Thank you, pwt54. I think I'll give Woodstock a miss and loop around those other towns you suggested, and I won't share your secret.

ixl

Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:50 am

I think peak is going to be early this year.. I am seeing more color change than I expected and the valleys are anticipating a frost tonight and maybe even a freeze tomorrow night.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Michelle

Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:44 pm

I too, think color will be early this yr, just based on what I see now.
I like Bennington, although I like Wilmington also.
Mid Oct sounds about right for peak. Keep checking in for updates, I would suggest.

Hollie

Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:14 pm

I was in Bennington 2 years ago and enjoyed it. I think it's a nice area to see foliage in, since color seems to be peaking early this year.