Public Image Gallery on Foliage Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

admin
Site Admin

Public Image Gallery on Foliage Vermont

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:28 pm

I've reactivated the Public Image Gallery on Foliage Vermont. As well as providing a slide show, the gallery allows you to send a postcard and to upload your own photos. Try to keep the kilobytes down to a reasonable size!

The gallery is here:
http://www.foliage-vermont.com/imgallery/gallery.asp

Tim

Andy

Re: Public Image Gallery on Foliage Vermont

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:33 am

Hi Tim: Interesting site. Could you give us some more parameters for uploading? E.g., is there a maximum or preferred height/width for an image. Presumably, it should be jpeg?

I am a hobbyist nature photographer (never marketed an image -- not that I wouldn't :) ). I got my first infusion of enthusiasm while attending Vermont Technical College in 1977, from a Math Prof. that was very talented and very honest in his critique. He has always been an inspiration -- as has Vermont (one of ""God's natural studios"). Unfortunately, I haven't live there in 25 years (instead I live in the center of Michigan's Thumb. Though perhaps some of the richest farmland in the world, it is also the flattest, brownest, and most power-lines per square mile of anywhere I know). I have to visit places like Vermont to get my inspiration.

I would like to know more about the photos (especially where they have been taken). I have some nice photos of Waits River, Peacham and some covered bridges. I might like to upload a couple of them.

Thanks for any inforamtion.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

admin
Site Admin

Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:24 am

Hi Andy:
Sorry to be a bit slow getting back to you. If you would like to upload some of your pictures, choose the Contributors folder and try to keep your photos to less than 250k. The program will automatically produce thumbnails. Width is the important issue here. They should be 600 px or less.

When you upload a picture there are plenty of opportunities to say who you are, your web site and so forth. Your photos can be a form of advertising for your photographic abilities. As such the images are really public domain, but since they are not high res there is not much people can do with them. You can also put a watermark in them if you wish.

Andy

Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:48 am

Thanks, Tim: I am equally slow at thanking you. Haven't gotten to the forum much -- but will probably be checking in daily now. The excitement is builidng <g>
Andy

Andy

Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:03 am

Tim: Sorry to be a nuisance, one other question for clarification: When I upload the file, does the Foliage Vermont website actually have the file reside there? I do not currently have a website and my files are just on my own hard drive and/or DVD media.

Thanks again.
Andy

admin
Site Admin

Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:34 am

Hi Andy:
Yes the file resides on the server. When you upload, you will get a form to fill out. Please put as much info in it as you can so people can read about the picture and possibly contact you. After you upload, the server automatically creates a thumbnail.

By the way, this application only works properly with Internet Explorer for Windows! I have had all kinds of problems with it on a MAC running Firefox and Safari.
Tim

Andy

Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:10 am

Thanks, Tim. Especially for the p.s. I use Firefox on my Windows based system. I'll fire up IE to do the upload.
Andy

Andy

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:44 am

I posted 3 photos yesterday, using Windows based Firefox and it worked fine. FYI
Andy