Quick Foliage Update and nice tour

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Quick Foliage Update and nice tour

Mon Oct 01, 2001 7:23 am

Just came back from Vermont yesterday and saw some great foliage this past weekend. Mad River Valley (where I stayed) was spectacular. Greens still in there but patchwork is very evident at many elevations. We took the single chair at Mad River Glen to the summit. What views...and great color. Smugglers was nice, but probably still a week away from peak. A quick foray into the Northeast Kingdom (not even that far up...just Caledonia County) was extremely rewarding with many hilltops aglow in reds and red-oranges. A nice trip which we carved out yesterday (my wife did an excellent job!) was taking Rte. 2 to the Marshfield area. Take 215 to Cabot until 15. Make a right to Walden. Make left at big bend in 15 onto road towards Cole's Pond. Instead of continuing to the pond, stay to the left (basically straight) and take road to end. Great hills on right. End of road is Rte. 16. Make right. Continue for only a mile or two to Greensboro Bend and look for sign to Stannard. Make right onto Stannard Mountain Road. Gorgeous climb up Stannard Mountain. Long road in good condition (packed dirt). Some views, but absolutely stunning canopies of colored trees and forest, especially at the top. Continue down mountain into South Wheelock and then Lyndon (road becomes paved at end...also paved at very beginning). Road lets you out at Rte. 5 right near I-91. Of course, many back roads in VT offer the best views away from the crowds. Enjoy, and I envy every one of you who is going to be in VT in the next week and a half (residing or visiting!).<P>Daniel<P>P.S. Granville Gulf was beautiful this weekend. Get there if you can!!

svmoderator

Re: Quick Foliage Update and nice tour

Mon Oct 01, 2001 11:41 am

Thanks for that update, Daniel! We were in the NE Kingdom this weekend and saw some of that great color you mentioned. Mad River Valley coming up Oct. 5. We're getting some interesting color in Woodstock and Quechee, too. The foresters say it's one of the best years in recent memory. Thanks!<BR>Susanne

Kerry Gough

Mon Oct 01, 2001 1:02 pm

Daniel:<P>Thanks for the thoughtful and good information you posted. I have not been on all of that route so that is a nice option to look at. <P>Your report makes me excited! We will be in Wodstock Th and Fri, Manchester area Sa-Mon and then Waitsfield Tu and Wed. With the reports you and Susanne are giving, plus the report from Geri (I believe), sure looks like the timing is right.<P>Kerry

vtphoto

Tue Oct 02, 2001 9:07 am

Made a long journey Sunday. Started out here in Lyndonville and headed east on US 2 at Sunrise. Good color (near peak, 75%?) around Danville and Cabot and their backroads, color tapered off a bit in towards central Vermont, but still good color in and around Plainfield and Marshfield (Hollister Hill area). Good foliage downtown Montpelier, tapers off north of there, with maybe 50% color in Worcester. Picks up again on Route 12, with peak color at Lake Elmore. Color not too great in Morrisville, and perhaps 40% around Underhill at the foot of Mt Mansfield. Headed northward, with some early colors around Enosburg Falls and Montgomery. Headed east with peak colors (lots of reds) on 242 through the Jay Peak area. Headed north into Québec, with still only some early color (30-40%) in the MRC de Memphrémagog, around Lac Brome and the Potton township. Better color as you head towards Mont Orford (reds), and perhaps 60% color in the Stanstead/Barnston Ouest area. Downtown Stanstead near the Derby Line border crossing has great color mixing with the interesting architecture. Had no problems crossing the border either way.<P>Up here in the Kingdom, we are rapidly approaching Peak, with some areas already there. 114 up through Newark and Island Pond remains great. 122 through Sheffield is great too. Take the Sheffield Square Road off 122 to some nice lookouts. Good color (not quite peak) in and around Craftsbury, and Glover in the Shadow Lake area. Kirby, as of Monday evening is peak. Great drive is on the Kirby Mountain Road. Exellent color!! <P>-Mike <A HREF="http://www.vtphoto.net" TARGET=_blank>http://www.vtphoto.net</A> <BR>