Too late for the foliage , oct 15 -18?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

apleemd

Too late for the foliage , oct 15 -18?

Sun Sep 30, 2001 9:24 pm

We will be in the area oct 15-18. We will be driving up from MA via 91. Are we too late to see the foliage? If not, Where to see. Please advise. Thank.

svmoderator

Re: Too late for the foliage , oct 15 -18?

Mon Oct 01, 2001 11:43 am

If you're heading to Southern Vermont, you should still see some good color. Is this possible for you? I've written some suggested trips on this forum, if the southern part of the state is an option, I'll pull those up and repeat them here. Susanne

svmoderator

Re: Too late for the foliage , oct 15 -18?

Tue Oct 02, 2001 7:54 pm

If you'll be on I-91, I recommend taking it north into Vermont, at that time of October, southern Vermont will have the best color. You could take Exit 2 at Brattleboro and go across Rte. 9 to Bennington. Wilmington is on the way and has some nice inns. You'll cross the Long Trail on Rte. 9, which is the "footpath in the wilderness" running the length of Vermont from Massachusetts to Canada. In Wilmington, you'll come to Rte. 100, which is a scenic drive the length of Vermont...it sort of follows the Long Trail but in the valleys. You can swing around from Rte. 100 to Rte. 30 to Manchester. You'll go through Londonderry, Manchester, Arlington (Rte. 7 south out of Manchester). Or take a left in West Wardsboro and go through Kelly Sand to Arlington...you'll be following an unpaved road that is closed in winter, it should be lovely in October.<P>When traveling north on I-91, you'll be able to stop at the new Vermont Welcome Center not far across the State line. There, you can pick up maps and all kinds of information about attractions and events going on. Also, the people there can give you the latest foliage update.<P>To look up lodging in Vermont, go to <A HREF="http://www.1-800-vermont.com" TARGET=_blank>www.1-800-vermont.com</A> and click on the region you are interested in...in this case, it will be Southern Vermont, SoVermont, or Manchester & the Mountains. Hope this helps, and enjoy the scenery!<P>Susanne