Oct 6 or Oct 20?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Oct 6 or Oct 20?

Fri Sep 28, 2001 1:52 am

Dear folks<P>My lady and I were going to get away from Manhattan on the 20th of October and were planning on seeing the foliage, but do you think that will be too late? How far upstate will we have to go to see the peak if we go next weekend, Oct 6th?<P>Thanks<P>Matthew

svmoderator

Re: Oct 6 or Oct 20?

Fri Sep 28, 2001 5:56 am

Hi,<P>If you arrive next week around the 6th of October, you'll likely find peak foliage in the Mad River Valley (Waitsfield), Stowe and Smugglers Notch, the Northeast Kingdom, and Jay Peak areas. Killinton, Woodstock and Quechee will also have excellent color; the foresters are saying we are having one of the best foliage years in memory.<P>If you decide to wait 'til October 20, you'll definitely have to stay in Southern Vermont to see the color...by then, anything north of Ludlow will be getting past peak. If you have a choice, I'd try for October 6; that's Columbus weekend, so if you're thinking of coming then, I'd get some reservations pretty quick.<P>Check out the foliage map at our foliage site, <A HREF="http://www.foliage-vermont.com" TARGET=_blank>www.foliage-vermont.com</A> to see the color progression throughout the state. Right now, we're at about 40 percent to peak here in Quechee/Woodstock, they're at about 75 percent in Waitsfield and Stowe, and the Northeast Kingdom is about the same. The maples are really red this year, very vivid, the colors are beautiful!<P>Whichever weekend you choose, you're going to find colorful foliage; just keep an eye on the foliage maps and aim north if October 6, southern VT if the 20th. If there's not enough color wherever you are, you can always drive a half-hour to an hour (north or south) and see more color, as well as the progression along the way. Besides, the scenic drive is part of the ambience...enjoy your visit!<P>Susanne

Geri

Sun Sep 30, 2001 4:49 pm

Oct. 20th is late for color in VT. N.W. CT peaks mid Oct. If that is the only time you can travel, I would suggest a more southern route than VT. Yet, we do find late Oct. beautiful in VT when there are still a few leaves hanging on the trees and often a coating of snow. The photography opportunities can also be wonderful after peak leaves. Everything is subdued, the colors muted, the landscape just on the edge of sliding into winter. A very peaceful time of year.

Wed Oct 03, 2001 9:04 am

geri,<BR>your message almost made me to postpone my trip by a few weeks :-)<P>i wish i stayed near VT, if not in it to see the whole transformation. [i live in jersey :-( ]

svmoderator

Thu Oct 04, 2001 8:32 am

Hi, I think color will still be great by October 20 in Southern Vermont...Reason?<P>I was in Manchester yesterday, and I am certain you will still have wonderful colors around Oct. 19 -20. They are at about 25 percent of peak color now, so I predict that in two weeks they will still have a superior amount, and you'll see some lovely variations.<P>I was at Hildene (the Lincoln family home) in Manchester, and I definitely recommend going there for the tour ($8). It was most interesting historically, and the house, grounds and views are spectacular, especially looking over the ridge at the valley below and the mountains beyond. It was nearly unbelievable!<P>Do not despair, in two weeks southern Vermont will still have plenty of colorful foliage!<P>Susanne