Double update from PWT54

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Double update from PWT54

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:14 pm

First, there has been heavy flooding around the Keene and Hinsdale area of southwest New Hampshire. Roads and bridges have been washed out. Many may take weeks to fix. If you paln to be in the Brattleboro area and want to cross over to NH. you may want to ask the locals how things are over in NH. Next, I went to Burlington to run some errands. Then I took some back roads down to Vergennes. Colors are early but looking good. It may not be peak next weekend but it will be close. Then I went to the Dead Creek Wildlife Area to check on the snow geese. This area is 1 mile west of route 22A in Addison,VT. They are there but are stiil way in back. They may be closer to the road next weekend if the food runs out in back. Hard to predict. Colors are very early down there. I then drove route 125 east toward route 100 in Hancock. Colors were great after Ripton Village and to the Texas Falls road. It didn't look good from ther to route 100. Route 100 north from Hancock to Warren didn't look good at all. A lot of bare trees and dull colors. Once I got to Warren it was a wole different world. All the trees still had their leaves and the colors almost looked early. Colors were at or near peak from Waitsfield to Stowe. (At least Ben&Jerry's was normal. The cars were park on top of each other and the traffic cop was going nuts {TIC})
I drove some of the back roads between Stowe and Hyde Park. It was great!! If you are in Stowe, stop at the Chamber's welcome center on MainStreet and ask if they have a Lamoille County road map. It may cost a few bucks but it will be worth it. Then drive all the back roads in Lamoille County you can. It looks like the area from Warren north to route 15 will still have good color until the weekend. If you get to Johnson, take Pearl Street ( by the church with the clock) and drive that straight up the hill until the pavement ends and continue straight until you come to a flat plateau with a farm on the left. Park just down the road and look around. Quite a view! Right now I'm so confused that I'm turning on the TV and routing of the (Gasp) New York Yankees! Another piece of yellow cake with chocolate fudge frosting should cushion the blow a bit.