camping in Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

camping in Vermont

Tue Sep 25, 2001 9:49 am

first of all let me thank "Scenes of Vermont" for providing such a wonderful forum. i have come to know many things about vermont reading thro' the forum.<P>my wife & me would be coming to vermont on the evening of oct 7th and have one day (oct 8th) for a drive around before heading back home to New Jersey. i know one day is no where enough to enjoy the foilage, but that's the best i could do. (more next year).<P>for our night stay, we are thinking of camping and Ascutney State Park looks like a good proposition. would you advice me on the suitability of the place & of the weather for that period. will it be too cold to camp ? also, would you suggest any other good camps closer to I-91.<P>we're planning to get onto the top of the Ascutney mountain and if time permits, go down Rt.100<BR>on our way back home. would a day be enough to do this drive (Summit drive & Rt 100 drive) ?<P>thanks for the help !<BR>

svmoderator

Re: camping in Vermont

Thu Sep 27, 2001 10:06 am

Yes, you can do that Ascutney auto road in reasonable time, no problem. The campground is very nice, and it's open 'til October 15. You can check out the campground at <A HREF="http://www.vtstateparks.com," TARGET=_blank>www.vtstateparks.com,</A> I just did to find out their closing date. Also, Quechee Gorge State Park is nice, too, and right at the Gorge on Rte. 4, also open to Oct. 15. It was 40 degrees here last night, will get up to around 65 today, but we're having a little cool spell, it's been warmer than that lately, 50 at night and 70s during the day. Supposed to warm up again by Sunday. So, it's your call on the camping...if you have warm sleeping bags and can layer warm clothes if you need them, you should be fine. Sounds like a great quick-trip, enjoy! Susanne

hari

Wed Oct 03, 2001 9:30 am

i have modified my schedule so as take a full day's drive along Rt 100 & Rt 9 and camp at molly stark state park. i blame this forum (with all the scenic temptations you are writing about) partially, for my re-scheduling. can't wait for the weekend.

Geri

Fri Oct 05, 2001 6:07 pm

Hi Hari,<BR>Molly Stark State Park is great. Try to get a lean-to. The hike up the trail there is fun and pretty this time of year. Also, there are nice walks around Sommerset Resevoir. The weather forecast for Sunday and Monday is "crisp". Bring the hat and warm jacket for those "crisp" mornings. We will be back at our Corinth property next weekend (camping in the old barn :-) Sept. 29th the leaves were almost at peak there, really brilliant colors. We expect it to be a little past peak next weekend. We will bring the mountain bikes for detailed exploring. Mountain bikes would also be fun around Molly Stark. There are so many gravel roads and trails to ride. Have a great time!